Thursday, June 4, 2009

The Doctor Has Spoken

Today was the day of David's appointment with Dr. Alexiou, one of our local ENT doctors, to check the lump on his neck.  The diagnosis?  A lymph node.  A harmless little (errr...big) lymph node.  Big sigh of relief...

Dr. Alexiou understood that when such lumps present themselves, they ought to be checked out.  He said that without years of experience with feeling such lumps, you wouldn't be able to tell whether it was a harmful one or not.  Better safe than sorry!  He also mentioned that since David is skinny, his nodes will tend to stand out more than on some people.  

You know, sometimes peace of mind is worth taking an afternoon to go to the doctor and pay him some money to tell you everything is absolutely fine!  :)

David was his usual charming little self during the appointment, and I enjoyed the one-on-one time with him (Tobin was napping at home with Grandma staying with him, and Josiah was sweeping up the hair on the floor at the barbershop, while David and I went to the appointment).  David behaved very well, was very respectful and obedient and friendly, and impressed the nurse so much that she teasingly asked if he could stay there and help her all afternoon--to which he soberly responded that no, he needed to go with Mommy.  :)  But the funniest thing happened when the nurse came to the door of the waiting room and called for us to go back.  David took one look at her, was obviously surprised and disappointed, and said rather loudly, "I thought Dr. Alexiou was a BOY!"  She hurriedly assured him that she was not Dr. Alexiou, the real Dr. Alexiou is indeed a boy, and David would soon be able to see him.  He was relieved, and we were amused.  :)

Interestingly, there is a female Dr. Alexiou, who is a very good dermatologist, has her office right next to the Dr. Alexiou we saw today...and happens to be his wife!

6 comments:

Julie said...

So glad everything checked out o.k.! The female Dr. Alexiou is incredible. I would never go or take my kids to any dermatologist other than her.

Lisa said...

My dear davene- I rushed to the doc for the exact same thing for Isaac...and had the same diagnosis! It's amazing what little bumps do to us...the worry and anxiety.

I'm so relieved, with you, that it is nothing!

Now for having that baby of yours.;-) I see you only have a little over a month — I can't wait!

For the record, I am one of the 3 who think it's going to be a boy.;-)

Margie said...

I've been waiting for this post...I've been wondering what the dx would be, and was - even more than I wanted to admit to myself - very concerned. I am SO GLAD for this dx. I know you must be relieved, too. Thanks for keeping us informed!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Whew! God is good. : D

Now to continue the countdown for baby #4. (Boy or girl . . . it matters not. Joy in a bundle excites me.)

Sally said...

Praise the Lord! I have met both the Dr. Alexious and they are both really nice and wonderful. I'm glad David wasn't disappointed though! It sounds like you had a really good arrangement for your children while you took him to the doctors. What a blessing! It also shows how creative you are!

Unknown said...

Wonderful news!