Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Adventure Begins

Jeff's mom flew in from California yesterday to spend two weeks with us, and there is always a lot of excitement in the air around here as we anticipate her arrival! The beginning of her time with us took an unexpected twist, however, when we got in an elevator to return to the parking lot after meeting her in the airport...and promptly got stuck.

Ever been stuck in an elevator? None of us had been. Josiah, being his typical dramatic self, fell to the ground and cried out with loud groans for God to deliver us. Jeff entertained us with the story of a guy stuck for three days in an elevator and wondered aloud what a person in that situation would do when he had to go to the bathroom...which made David and Josiah laugh. Grandma Fisher got a chance to hold Tobin and get acquainted with her newest grandchild--her 9th. I pulled a book out of the handy-dandy diaper bag and started reading it to the boys; it happened to be about firefighters which was highly appropriate since the airport firefighters were on their way to rescue us. We estimate that we were stuck for 20 minutes or so--not too big of a deal--and what made it fairly easy was that it was a rather large elevator, there was no one else on it besides us so it wasn't very crowded, and even more significantly, none of us had to go to the bathroom. :)


Here Jeff, Josiah, and David pose with some of the guys who rescued us: our newest heroes!

As they say, "All's well that ends well," and we're grateful that this story ended just fine!

10 comments:

pyrotechny said...

what an adventure~!

Kristen said...

Adam has rescued people from elevators many times...at least you weren't on there with 15 other people who were large, hot and sweaty. And since it wasn't that long now you have a funny story to remember!

Anonymous said...

That's AWESOME that Josiah fell to the ground and cried for God's help! :)

I really enjoyed hearing Jeff tell this story yesterday!

Elizabeth said...

Oh my goodness! What an adventure! The boys will be proud of this story for a long time! :)

Lisa said...

Davene — your life is never dull! I'm so glad you were able to make the getting stuck fun!

I've been stuck in an elevator before — claustrophobic. I couldn't wait to get FRESH air!!

Have a great weekend.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

That's one way to start your weekend! I hope you enjoy every second!
Carrie

Marie said...

Wow this is so amazing! I always wonder if that would happen to me whenever I am in an elevator, I can't believe it actually happened to you!! Fun memories!!

Sally said...

How wonderful that Jeff's mom can come and visit for a while! I'll bet this is a very special time.

About the elevator, oh my! I'm glad it was only 20 min. The elevators at the hospital, well, I know way too much about them, and I shudder to think how many people have been stuck in them. Some of my co-workers wouldn't ever, ever get on them. The coordinator said parts had to come by dog sled from Siberia (because it took so everlasting long for parts to come to fix them).

I think Josiah is well-trained to call on the Lord for help first thing when one is in trouble. Good job, Josiah (and his parents for teaching him)!

Margie said...

My first thought was, "Josiah was doing what we should all be doing!" Davene, I hope you're having a wonderful time with Jeff's mom and can't wait to hear more. By the way, you do a great job with your blog. It's a true project for you. I am, as I write, enjoying the music!

Anonymous said...

Hey, your story sounds pretty interesting! Good thinking pulling out that book, Davene! A good book is handy in almost any situation! ;)