Monday, September 15, 2008

Savoring the Sweetness

I am well aware that I'm in the season of life when my boys--even my oldest--are fairly quick to make their emotions known and have not yet learned to hide their feelings behind masks.  Besides crying spells and temper tantrums, the more delightful aspect of this stage is that affection is generously poured out on me by my children...and I soak it in, reveling in the sweetness.  

As Josiah grows, I know this phase will come to an end; and his love will be expressed in different ways--more subtle, less public.  Even now, I try to respect his emerging young manhood by being careful to follow his lead with how much public affection he wants from me--sometimes substituting a high-five for a hug or an "You did a great job!" for an "I love you so much!"  For example, when Josiah scored a goal in his soccer game on Saturday, it was a moment of high jubilation since it was the first time ever that he's scored a goal in a game.  I really wanted to run out on the field and pick him up to hug him tightly and cover him with kisses.  But I didn't.  :)

Recently, however, several things have happened to remind me that he hasn't outgrown open affection yet...and I'm so glad!  For example, on the first day of our homeschool co-op this year, I introduced him to his teacher, but couldn't linger until he got started with his class activities because I needed to get to the classroom where I was teaching.  I knew Josiah was feeling a little nervous, but I tried not to make a big deal out of it all.  I was pleasantly surprised when Josiah threw his arms around my neck and even gave me a kiss before I walked away.  And, by the way, he did great in his class; and after last week (our second week of co-op) was telling me all about his "best buddies" in his class.  :)

Yesterday at the waterpark, I was reminded of all of this when Josiah repeatedly reached out for my hand and held it as we walked along.  I love to hold his hand!  But it's one of those things in which I wait for his lead, not wanting to be a "smother mother."  Inwardly, I glowed each time he slipped his little hand in mine, then walked on, proudly thinking, "This is my son, and he loves me!"  

Yet another incident of sweet-as-honey affection...  During lunch today, I was feeding Tobin some baby food while Josiah and David were eating.  I had turned on a Hebrew music CD that Jeff had brought back from his Nazareth trip this past July, and the boys wanted to know what language it was and what the words meant.  The phrase that happened to be playing was "Aht tamid yafah" (Hebrew, of course, is written with a different alphabet, so that is simply a rough transliteration of the phrase); and I told them that it means, "You're always beautiful."  We went on to talk about how, when you love someone, they are beautiful to you...even if they're hot and sweaty, tired, dirty, whatever.  I sometimes slip little gems of wisdom and advice into small talk with them to prepare them for when they have wives someday :) so I gave them the example of how, every morning before he leaves for work, Jeff comes to me while I'm still sleeping, gives me a kiss, and whispers something like, "Goodbye, Beautiful," or "I love you, Princess," which I appreciate so much and if I happen to sleep through it, I feel a little disappointed when I wake up. I told Josiah and David that even with my bedhead and morning breath, Daddy still calls me beautiful...and isn't that amazing?  Josiah oh-so-sweetly said, "Maybe you're more beautiful than you realize!"

Ah...sweetness...  :)

8 comments:

Misty said...

There is something about what little boys say to their moms. Don't get me wrong. I love affection from my girls but I just melt when Houston says things like,"You're so pretty Mommy."

Sally said...

Oh my! Do I have things to look forward to when Paul is actually talking! That is so neat! I think you have trained (are training) your children well. Keep up the good work!

Crystal said...

That brought tears to my eyes. How precious is that little guy? He will be a wonderful husband and daddy one day.

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Oh, how sweet. Little boys can be so precious. I love that you are writing that stuff down, it is just so touching.
Carrie

Anonymous said...

Aww. What a sweet comment. But one that holds true for most women I know--"Maybe you're more beautiful than you realize."

Unknown said...

What lovely sentiments -- and how sensible you are in your behaviour to your boys, Davene. I've recently gone from "Mummy" to "Mum" and am told "no, you can't kiss me today -- tomorrow is kissing day". And, having only one, it breaks my heart to know that these outpourings of childish emotion will end. Ahhh, motherhood.

Margie said...

Ahhh, so much wisdom expressed in this post, Davene. You are so careful and good in your teaching.

Mamajil said...

This is precious!! Little boys know how to melt your heart!!! What a wonderful memory this post will be in years to come! Have a blessed day!