Monday, December 13, 2010

In the Late Night Hours...

...I'm more grateful than usual for the shelter of these red-brick walls and the warmth enclosed within them.

I glance at the thermometer.  14 degrees.

"A person could die outside on a night like this," I think.  Then I correct myself, "Of course a person could die, but could a person live?"

We pray for the homeless, that they have found warm shelter.

We put more wood on the fire and hear the lonely sound of the wind howling down the chimney.  Oh, this wind! It cuts like a knife when we venture outside and gives new meaning to the term "bitter cold."

I walk quietly into the boys' rooms to check on them, to pull covers up under chins, to kiss exposed cheeks, to breathe a prayer for these little ones who are so unspeakably precious to me.  In a little while, I, too, will crawl under my covers and pull them up to my chin.  I will be reminded of how I used to dread getting into a cold bed on nights like these, and how all that changed with the purchase of our cherished electric blanket.  I will give thanks again for such luxury; and although I have no one to tuck me in, I will feel God's smile warm me and His soft kiss on my cheek.

Tonight, when harsh weather conditions outside feel like a threat, my gratitude for all that is good and lovely in my life wells up and finds a single, focused expression.  In these late night hours, I thank God that...

...I am warm.

10 comments:

Bonnie said...

Hey Night Owl!
15 degrees here, and yes, bitter.
A friend of ours is a police officer, and he spends most nights like this looking for warm entry ways for the homeless.
Thanks for the reminder- goodnight!

Elizabeth said...

Davene you are so right. Even here in Florida its gotten pretty low and the wind has made all the difference. What a beautiful post and reminder. I can't wait to continue reading below :)

Sweet dreams.

Homeschool on the Croft said...

How much we take for granted. And how quickly we moan at the slightest 'inconvenience'.... because of all the 'conveniences' we have.
Let us remember those who have so little. May they find earthly shelter, but above all, may they be sheltered under the blood of the Lamb - which is the only shelter that will take us safely into eternity. x

Mike and Katie said...

I was thinking about this today as I was laying under the dining room table in a blanket fort. It was so warm and cozy with two of the girls in our fort. I thought about being in a small cardboard box trying to keep warm. So sad.

It was 16 below zero here when Mike left for work yesterday. At 14 degrees, we'd go out and play. :) Not the little girls, but Amanda and I would.

Unknown said...

I love your thoughts for the homeless. My husband works for a Christian charity who help the homeless is many different ways. One of the things they run is a night shelter where rough sleepers can come into a church hall, get a hot meal and a warm bed for the night.

Sarah-Anne said...

Another great post, Davene!

Unknown said...

Amen! It is bitter cold here. I can't imagine being without a roof over my head in this weather.

Misty said...

So true! Though on another note I have a photographer friend in finland and she did a photo shoot outside in -18 degree weather. The most amazing part to me was that swimmers kept walking in to the back of her shot! Yes, swimmers...in bathing suits and towels swimming outside in a swimming hole (where the moving water doesn't freeze) in -18 degrees! YIKES!!

Patti said...

Catching up with Sylvan Drive is my version of an electric blanket! I loved this post, AND your 40 memories of Jeff, AND your insightful assessment of the parenting magazine, AND your careful attention to the boys and their individual milestones, AND the fact that I also have a "Caroline and Charles Ingalls Litmus Test"...

See? Warm.

Anonymous said...

Great post and ohh so true.. heres to today that is just a smidgen warmer!