Sunday, December 19, 2010

Oh, the Questions They Ask

Before I write another word, let me first say a big THANK YOU to those of you who commented on the previous post, shared your experiences with me, and assured me that you understood my pain and were praying for Shav's sleep issues to resolve.  That means the world to me.  Thank you from the bottom of my heart, dear blog readers friends!

To answer the questions left in the comments...
~ Misty, what eventually settles him back to sleep?  Well, time, I guess.  But it's been up to an hour and a half of crying during a spell.  I keep checking on him every so often, just to see if he's aware enough of me to be calmed by my presence and is able to "snap out of it."  But yeah, two (or was it three?) nights ago, the whole episode was about an hour and a half and was absolutely draining for me.
~ Valerie, I don't think there's a problem with Shav's ears because he hasn't been sick recently, he doesn't pull on them, and he's not particularly fussy at any other times.  Even when I lay him flat when I'm changing his diaper or putting him to bed for a nap or at the beginning of the night, he doesn't cry then.  As far as what he is like after a screaming episode, he basically seems fine!  After the naptime crying session, he was a little tired (can't imagine why, after all that screaming!) and sat on my lap quietly for a little while before getting down to play.  But when it happens at night, he definitely seems normal by morning and doesn't seem mad at me then.  :)
~ Stacey, I'll try to pay more attention to his eyes next time.  I have a feeling that even when they're open, he's not really aware of who I am; but it's hard for me to imagine because, hello, I'm your mom, Shav...remember me?  :)  But I think you're absolutely right about a child being able to walk, talk, cry, or whatever, and not realize what's going on.  Jeff told me that he sleepwalked as a child, so maybe there's some connection to Shav's experiences.  I'm not sure about foods or events that might be triggering it for Shav, but he might be a little extra tired.  I'll be more intentional this week about what's going on with him during daytime hours so that hopefully that can be a clue if these episodes continue.  About the anointing with oil--absolutely!  That is totally biblical.  We've prayed about it, that's for sure.  :)  But we haven't done the anointing; thanks for suggesting that.  And one more thing for you:  I'm SO sorry that you have had similar experiences.  I know what it's like to awake from a bad dream and still feel caught in the emotions of that, so I can only imagine how terrifying it is to deal with your experiences.
~ Ceci, that's really interesting about putting Sydney with Meredith.  I hadn't heard of that before.  The funny thing to me is that, even though Shav's crying seems so loud to me, the other boys are somehow able to sleep right through it!!  Their bedrooms are across the hall; but, believe me, Shav's cries are loud enough to reach that far--and then some.  :)  I'll keep your suggestion in mind, if these spells continue.  Thanks!
~ Michelle, I really appreciate you sharing your experiences.  The reminder that this is a real occurrence with a scientific cause and explanation, and probably not just a temper tantrum issue, is VERY helpful.  And yes, it is so bewildering to see Shav looking like he's awake but having him respond so strangely to me.

Last night was a good night; he slept straight through with no problems at all.  And so far tonight, I haven't heard a peep from him.  However, he usually starts with one of these crying fits around 12:30 or 1:00 AM, so I'm still holding my breath to see if this is a good night or a bad one.  Even in the depths of the agony of listening to him cry, I keep reminding myself that "this too shall pass"; and I also remember that God comforts us so that we can comfort others, and maybe someday down the road, I'll be able to share about my current trials with another sad, frustrated mom.

* I spoke too soon.  Shav awoke crying around 11:45.  Jeff got him, and Shav woke up enough to realize that I was sitting here in my rocking chair.  He reached out for me and calmed down when I held him.  We had a little cozy snuggling time; then when I was starting to carry him to bed, he reached out for Jeff and had a little cuddle time with him.  Now he's back in bed and occasionally whimpering, but clearly that wasn't a typical episode for him.  Who knows how the rest of the night will go?

Moving right along...

The big boys have been amusing me recently with the questions they ask.  For example, as we rode in the Big White Van over Afton Mountain to a church service this morning, David asked, "Are there more people or trees in the world?"  Hmmm...I'm not sure...maybe trees?  Then he asked, "Are there a googol trees in the world?"  Uh...probably not.  "Is there a googol of anything in the world?"  Well...maybe grains of sand?

During the church service, Josiah, who read nine chapters of Revelation during the sermon, leaned over to whisper in my ear, "So, are there only going to be 144,000 people saved?"  Well, sweetheart, let's talk about it later.  The standard I-have-no-idea-what-to-say-right-now answer of parents everywhere!  :)

On the way home, Josiah asked, "Are there more white people or black people in the world?"  Probably more Chinese, was my reply.  :)

Goodness!  These boys!  They're good at reminding me how little I know.

Earlier this week, David asked me one that I could answer definitively.  "Do real policemen brush their teeth?" he queried.  "Yes!" I said with certainty.  Then he asked, "How many times do they brush their teeth?"  

All I could think to say was, "The next time you see a real policemen in Daddy's shop {because Jeff cuts the hair of a lot of policemen in our town}, you can ask him!"  :)
~ my little architects, hard at work  :)

6 comments:

Homeschool on the Croft said...

Their little minds just never stop, do they!
Sorry, I missed the last post on the sleeping issue (I was away a couple of days, so missed some blogs) - that sounds really hard. I can't really offer advice, but I will pray for you. As you say, this season will pass, but still - it's hard to cope with lack of sleep.
Love, Anne x

Unknown said...

I've just read your last post too, and for what it's worth, our second oldest had similar episodes when he was about 2/3 years old. He would wake up crying/screaming, not every night, but almost always only a few hours after he had gone to sleep. He would be sitting up in bed with his eyes open and look at you but you could tell he wasn't seeing you.

I didn't ever find a way to stop the crying but I would sit by his bed until he settled, as he did seem really distressed (the crying didn't last as long as your Shav's, but he was a little older).

One comfort is that in the morning he would have absolutely recollection of what had happened the night before, so it's not like something was frightening him and lingering in his mind afterwards.

It only lasted about 6 months or so and then stopped as suddenly as it started.

Unknown said...

I love the tree question. I am still praying about the sleep issue.

Sally said...

I haven't been able to keep up with my blog reading recently, so I just read your sleep issues post and this one now. I'm sorry that is happening. I can't imagine how frightening that is for you, and also how terrifying for Shav. I don't have any experience in that area (and am not seeking any!), so I don't have any advice. I will be praying this passes quickly for your sake, but primarily for Shav's sake. I can't imagine being in that state of mind.

Margie said...

Davene, I, too, am sorry about Shav's sleeplessness, but was comforted to read so many responses to your last post. I didn't know night terrors were so common. I'll be interested to read more of your posts on this topic.

Love the questions! And am very impressed that Josiah is reading Revelation! He is really mature to ask a question of that nature at 8. (And a half!)

bekahcubed said...

I LOVE Josiah's googol question--and it got me to thinking. I once read an estimate of the number of particles in the universe. While I don't remember the number, it seems to me that it was less than a googol. Wikipedia has it as 10^80 (found here), which is less than a googol. So I think it's probably safe to say that there isn't a googol anything in the universe.