Saturday, May 2, 2009

"Sorry, We're Too Busy"

During quiet time this afternoon, Tobin scooted himself over to Josiah's room and tried to push his way in. Besides ceiling fans, Tobin's latest fascination is doors--opening and closing them repeatedly--so it's no wonder he tried to open Josiah's door. I was nearby, organizing some bookshelves in the hallway, and I wondered how Josiah would react to his little intruder--with frustration and a "Mom, get him out of here!" or with patience. I was pleasantly surprised to see the gracious way Josiah turned the intrusion into a game, bringing a laugh to his littlest brother and delight to my mother's heart.

In the video, Josiah says with a funny accent, "Sorry, we're closed," or "Sorry, we're too busy," but as I hear him, I think, "Thank You, God, that we're not too busy. Thank You for the slower pace of recent days, for the conclusion of basically all the extra scheduled activities we throw into the school year, and for the time here at home to simultaneously nest AND enjoy the little birdies already in my nest."

1 comment:

Margie said...

Davene, this is really sweet. I could watch these little videos all the time. It's fun to see the boys "in action." Our video camera still uses video tape, so I don't think I can put any on the blog. But I realize, when I see yours, how important it is to capture the little mundane moments. How else can we remember these swiftly passing days?