Monday, October 27, 2008

Politics

Updated AGAIN to add this video link. Jeff passed this along to me, and I found it thought-provoking and gripping. The part that I found particularly chilling was the quote by Obama about his daughters: "but if they make a mistake, I don't want them punished with a baby." How much further from Psalm 127:3-5 can a person get?????

Updated to add a few more points under "Other Thoughts"...

It occurred to me recently that I haven't mentioned a word about the upcoming election--and perhaps I should. Otherwise, my sons may be sitting around together, in 50 years or so, reading through this blog (surely, they'll be doing that; they'll certainly treasure every word I write!) when puzzlement strikes: "What? There's no mention of the election in 2008? What was Mom thinking? Didn't she know that was THE MOST IMPORTANT ELECTION IN HISTORY?" Can you detect my wry grin as I write this?

I do have lots of thoughts about the election...and about politics in general. Even though my initial reaction is usually "ugh," I can go a bit deeper than that. ;)

First, let me say that I used to be more motivated politically, even to the point of going to Washington, D.C. for marches and holding signs on street corners to protest. And then I lived in Israel. When I returned, I was disheartened--"sickened" might be a more accurate word--at the way so many Christians in our country seemed absolutely blinded to the larger world around them. The equation of America = God's kingdom is so completely false that I can hardly believe that some live as if it is true. Reading The Myth of a Christian Nation by Gregory Boyd was a breath of fresh air, to put it mildly. It's not that I'm against voting (in fact, I have voted and will do so again); it's just that we need a little perspective, folks! God is working so powerfully all around the world, and He's really not limited at all by what the American public decides to do next Tuesday.

Ah, there's more to say about that; but I'll defer to someone who says it more eloquently than I could. Today I read this, written by Harvey Yoder, a local man whom we know and respect. I was so struck by it that I immediately emailed him to ask for permission to post it here, and he kindly agreed. This is what I think about the election...



An Election Reflection

We’ve heard a lot about how all-important the US presidential race is this year, as though the very survival of civilization rested on the outcome. I agree that the choices offered this year are significant, and that the question of how or whether to exercise the stewardship of the one vote each of us has deserves prayerful thought. The following, however, is an attempt to put things in a larger perspective, to help us think globally and not just nationally, to look at the larger historical picture and not just our own situation in this one corner of the globe.

First, it’s good to remember that the United States is only one of 230 nations in the world, and that it represents a mere 5% of the world's people (even though the US currently controls the majority of the world's wealth and military might). Biblically, all nations are of minor consequence in comparison to God’s worldwide, eternal kingdom. As God’s citizens, we might think less of governments simply ruling us and more about prayerfully urging them to act in more just and in less violent ways (I Timothy 2:1-6).

Second, we need to remind ourselves that a US president is the chief presider and leader of only one of three branches of a federal government, and that the judicial and legislative branches are equally deserving of prayer and concern. This three-part federal system, in turn, must share power with 50 states and commonwealths, each made up of county and municipal governments, and each responsible to the people. In other words, we are electing a presider of one branch of one part of a democracy made up of citizens, not choosing a monarch or dictator over a kingdom of mere subjects. Besides, each president's four-year term is only 1.7% of this nation's relatively brief 230-year history (which in turn represents only 5% of the total history of the world since the time of Abraham and Sarah).

Finally, we (US Americans) are not a “chosen people” whose culture and way of life is superior to everyone else’s. Take our national language, for example. Our one official tongue is English, mostly the language of white Caucasians. While English is popular worldwide as a second language, it is still only one of nearly 7000 spoken around the world. God has no favorite race, language or nationality.

So for perspective’s sake, we need to gain a humbler opinion of our importance, while respecting others' ways of thinking and living elsewhere in God’s world. Nationalistic pride would have us imagine ourselves, our culture, and our political contests to be the most important on the planet.

Well said, Harvey! Thank you!!!

On the other hand, when I do venture into the world of politics and exercise my right to vote, I find that I keep coming back to the issue that was the first to ever grab me and the first about which I educated myself. Abortion. I've written before about this issue, so I won't repeat everything here (and, consequently, will probably come across very one-sided and harsh...if you're bothered, go read my earlier post to get a bigger picture); but I must admit that I find myself hugely swayed by how each candidate stands on this particular issue. I can't see myself ever voting for someone who didn't attempt to limit abortion or--worse by far--who tried to knock down the few restrictions we do have in this country against it. It's just not right--for the babies, for the parents, for the culture of our nation as a whole.

It's. Just. Not. Right.

With the belief that life begins at conception, the idea of protecting someone's choice--when it involves murdering another human being--is simply beyond comprehension to me. And so, when Sarah Palin was selected as McCain's running mate, I was excited--thrilled!--at a such a concrete example of a pro-life family. I've given away who I'm voting for, of course; but I do hope to not receive a barrage of hateful comments.

Other thoughts:
~ I'm happy that Obama has broken the racial barrier. In my book, being pro-life also means being anti-racism, so I'm very grateful to see this historic moment.
~ I don't have much personal respect for either Obama or McCain. I think politics in this fallen world is a messy business, and they are both polluted with it. I do, however, respect them as part of the authority God has placed over me at this time.
~ I admire Sarah Palin for many reasons, but have no illusions that she's perfect--in fact, if I were in her shoes, I would have handled certain issues very, very differently.
~ As far as the war in Iraq, another hot campaign topic, I have (and have had for a long time) very serious misgivings about it for a multitude of reasons.
~ I'm not in favor of government getting any "bigger" than it already is. Take the issue of health care: ever since I did a research paper in high school about socialized medicine, I've been against it strongly. In our current situation, with Jeff being self-employed and obviously not receiving health insurance through his work, we have found a very satisfactory answer to that "problem" through our participation in Samaritan Ministries. I don't think more government intervention is the key to the health care problems our country faces.

In the end, I find myself back at the beginning--saying "ugh" about the very idea of politics. However, I am immensely encouraged today by the piece by Harvey Yoder and the reminder that God is big--so, SO much bigger than this country and this election. Thanks be to God for His "worldwide, eternal kingdom" of true peace and justice, love and mercy!

9 comments:

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I am saying "ugh" about the whole thing too...I agree!
Carrie

Marie said...

Thanks Davene for your post! I am glad you did a recap and talked about some of these political issues! I find that politics is an "Ugh" subject and something us christians don't want to get in the ring and fight about. I also realize that it is our duty to stand up for what is right and even if we get slapped and pushed around because of it. I know that America is a nation that leads the world in issues that are morally right because of our christian heritage and that we have fallen short of that as a nation. I know that Israel is the Key of this nation. We must support Israel and the moment we don't, I will be really worried. Abortion is such a serious issue and something we are going to be held accountable for some day and I feel that the supreme court judges that will be selected this term is the most important time of our voting. Thanks for writing this and reminding us that God is in control and not to give in to worry and fear!!!

Polly said...

I rarely, if ever, completely agree with a politics blog post. But I COMPLETELY agree with this one! Excellent post and I'm sort of amazed at how I kept nodding my head at what you said!! :)

pyrotechny said...

I know that politcs is such an "ugh" issue to many Christians and non-C's alike. BUT..if we all wash our hands and walk away, will it get better? I think not. Look at Hollywood- we effectively washed our hands decades ago, and now we're trying to get back in..and reclaim the medium. So I believe that politics NEEDS Christians more than we need politics. If the righteous abandon it, which direction will it go, I wonder? So I do limit what I see, and with the Internet and youtube, I can watch select snippets of what I want. And I can spend the rest of the time praying for GOOD GOVERNMENT. Because I do believe that although we are a small percentage of the world's population, God has granted us great wealth and power, and we should not take our responsibilities lightly. (Guess I am long here, maybe I should consider my own post ON MY OWN BLOG, huh?) Sorry. I am very interested in what you think of Samaritan Min., which I have migrated to time and again. Shoot me an email and tell me more!

Mrs. Pittman said...

It's been WAY too long since I've been here! Your site looks absolutely wonderful - and professional - and a bunch of other adjectives!

I love what your friend Harvey said. Do you mind if I link to your blog so my many, many readers can see it? :)

Mamajil said...

Your post was very well stated!!!

Unknown said...

I find this all very interesting -- being in Australia, we see a lot about the American election, but it's interesting to hear the viewpoint of someone who's there.

Jen said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog and it's interesting to read what you have here. I feel like anytime I hear/read something by somebody who really believes in one candidate or another, I'm swayed. I agree that abortion is a huge issue - thanks for the link you sent me. I wish there was some way to combine the good things of each candidate into one preside. But ... there is not. Ugh, I concur.

Anonymous said...

Love your post and the article! As christians we must stand for what is right and that begins with the very foundation of our faith, LIFE. It's so good to hear about values and beliefs rather than bashing of a candidate.

BTW, Ive been gone a long time and Tobin looks like a big boy already! Where does the time go???