Friday, October 10, 2008

Seen...

...in our kitchen last night: Josiah and David, side by side, looking through new books from the library...and giving us all the pleasure of a quiet, peaceful moment.
Eaten: a new recipe, Wild Chicken, from Between Here and Home. Delicious!
Observed: Bartimaeus, our blind (at least partially) calf, licking our dog Molly this morning. Molly just stood there and let her (yes, Bartimaeus is a girl...we didn't know that when we named her) lick and lick and lick her. We knew our animals were close--after all, they eat each other's food (very true...the calves eat the dogs' food, the dogs eat the calves' food, the rabbit eats the chickens' food, and the chickens even peck at the rabbit's food...speaking of rabbit, our last one dug a tunnel and escaped from his enclosure recently, but he's still spotted around our yard sometimes, bringing much excitement to Josiah and David who insist on chasing the poor thing around and around, as if they could ever really catch it!)--but I didn't know they were that close!

Heard: Poiema by Michael Card has been playing in my CD player today.

Worked on: I've been continuing the never-ending project of organizing pictures on the computer, as well as beginning the process of preparing addresses and envelopes for the Christmas letters we'll send.

Read: Sarah by Kaylene Johnson...my parents bought this book on Wednesday, my mother had finished reading it by the next day, and she passed it on to me. It's a quick read, but very helpful, I think, in learning more about who might be our next Vice President. I realize that the information about her is presented in the book in such a way as to shed a favorable light on her--of course!--but I do think it's impressive how an "outsider," a "normal" American woman, challenged the wrongdoing that she saw in the establishment...and, in many ways, won. This upcoming election is so much more interesting to me because of her presence in it!

Accomplished: Tobin learned to drink from a sippy cup today.

Pondered: Jeff's recent suggestion that it might be unrealistic to expect two brothers (Josiah and David) to share the same tenderness that a brother and sister (my brother David and I) shared as children. Maybe two siblings of the same gender experience an extra helping of competition?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I liked the layout of this post -- similar to the simple woman's daybook, but with an interesting twist. It's nice to see your boys enjoying eachother's company over books. I think the 'quiet time' we receive as parents increases as our babies grow up.

Davene said...

Morning, I actually thought about the Simple Woman's Daybook when I finished the post and looked over the whole thing (bits and pieces of it had come to my mind earlier; but when I saw it all together, it did remind me of the Daybook). I haven't started doing that yet, but I always enjoy reading your Daybook posts! :)

Bonnie said...

Aha! Finally, after several weeks (or so it seems) of trying to pull up your comments box I finally got it!
Looks like a nice "homey" day, and I too love the (very) few moments of peace after the library book bag has been replenished, and much to Biscuits delight, we discovered the Veggie Tales book section at the library.
I liked your kitchen tags/meme, whatever you want to call it. I'm nosy and like to see other peoples houses!

Emily Joy said...

So I see I'm not the only one who likes to change header pictures and background colors :) I love the picture!

Christin said...

First...is that picture heading from Lancaster? It reminds me of a view you see from Jet's parents' front (and back) yard.

I've been thinking about that they whole sibling rivalry recently as well. Wondering if my girls are competitive because they are all girls. Or because they're just siblings.

Regardless, I think you and David share something different than most siblings (regardless of gender). :)

Davene said...

Christin, actually the picture is from my very own neck of the woods. :) Jeff took it driving around on the back roads just south of us one day. But I can see why it would remind you of Lancaster. When I was looking through our pictures folder last night to find a new one for the heading, this one popped out at me so I had to choose it--at least, for a week or two. :)

Second, you know how grateful I am for the relationship David and I had. Now, if only I could FORCE my kids to have that same kind of relationship! ;)