Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Which Came First?

The chicken or the egg?

In our case, the chickens clearly came first...all six of them that currently occupy our chicken coop and fenced enclosure. We have five hens and one flashy rooster, and one of those hens has finally figured out what her purpose in life is: to lay eggs for us, of course!

Finally--finally!--the egg came. I had been watching and waiting for it and had almost wondered if we needed to do something differently to convince our hens to lay when suddenly, last evening, there it was--a beautiful brown egg in the chicken coop, exactly where we were hoping the eggs would be laid (to make it easier for us to reach them). I was absolutely thrilled! :)
This morning, I nominated myself as the fortunate recipient of the first egg (which actually wasn't as selfish of me as it sounds since Jeff isn't a huge egg fan--and he was at work anyway--and Josiah and David think they don't like eggs so much--although since they're in our family, they are "privileged" to eat eggs when served). I cracked that beautiful egg into our frying pan...
...then gently laid it on mustard-smeared bread, covered it with grated cheese, and put several huge green olives on top.
A fried egg sandwich--delicious!!!
Lo and behold, when I went outside this afternoon, there was another egg in nearly the same spot as the first one. I think I could get used to this!

Collecting eggs from our very own chickens makes me feel so very Laura Ingalls Wilder-ish. :)

11 comments:

busymomof10 said...

Hi! I popped over to check out your blog! Lovely scenery!!!! Congratulations on your first EGG! :) We used to have chickens -- about 3 children and 10 years ago! I loved those fresh, brown eggs -- it is amazing the difference in taste over store bought eggs -- but you sure know how to ruin your egg with the mustard and olives and such!!!! :)

Lisa said...

Aren't farm-fresh eggs the best??!! Congrats and glad you enjoyed it the way you did...looks yum!

New Mom said...

Fresh eggs from healthy chickens-- hurray! The egg looks wonderful-- the olives and mustard, not so much. I'm curious, where did you come up with that idea for a sandwich!?!

Charree said...

I am very jealous, I am having to buy my eggs from the grocery. It looks like all of you had a fabulous time on the fall field trip. Have a great day!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Good for you! I can't think of a better way to enjoy your egg than a yummy sandwich just for you! :)
Carrie

Mamajil said...

Yeah for your first egg!!!!!
Sandwich looks great I never thought to put olives on an egg sandwich I will have to try it!!
Happy Thursday!!

Davene said...

About my interesting combo for an egg sandwich... I'm really scratching my head and thinking hard here because I can't really remember how this developed...isn't this the way everybody eats egg sandwiches? ;)

I do know that as kids, we had fried egg sandwiches with mustard. The cheese and green olives may have been a later addition, during my early married life...but EVERYTHING tastes better with cheese on it, right? And the green olives make it taste like a deviled egg. What? You don't put green olives in your deviled eggs??? We do. :)

Jen said...

I'd like to say that sandwich looks perfect.

New Mom said...

Hmmmm... nope, never tried deviled eggs with olives. Sounds good though, so I may have to give it a try. You should post the recipe as I'd have no idea how many olives to add. I'm from NC-- the only egg sandwiches I have ever had were just plain ol' eggs and bread. Though when I moved here to AZ, my brother-in-law made me an egg omelet sandwich with mustard and I have to admit, it was good. I thought the mustard thing was unique to him.

pyrotechny said...

Good for you! It is an eye-opener when you see a REAL fresh egg for the first time...you can really tell the difference. I really miss the fresh eggs, but not the HASSLE! Hope it goes well. PS: we always had a scrambled egg sandwich with salad dressing (Miracle whip kind). I miss that the most now that I can't eat eggs any longer!

Sally said...

Beautiful egg-frying picture. Glad your chickens are getting around to purposeful living (at least one of them). However, green olives in an egg sandwich seems like a bit of a stretch to me. We always had them with miracle whip and mustard, and at home, a piece of fried cow baloney.