Sunday, October 18, 2009

Simple Sunday - Grandma's Shoulder

~ the first ever Shav-as-author edition
~ thankful for Grandma's shoulder, a pretty good place to fall asleep...Grandpa's lap is a nice spot to hang out in, too; but my mommy must not have been paying attention at the right time because she didn't take a picture of that...I sure love having my grandparents live close by so that they can hold me a lot...my mommy likes it, too, so that she can actually eat without having me on her lap at the same time...I was getting kind of tired of pieces of tomatoes and shredded cheese and dollops of sour cream falling out of her taco onto my head!...Grandma's shoulder is a much more peaceful place to be, especially when she sits in the rocking chair by the woodstove and rocks with me...ah, this is the life
Grandchildren are the crowning glory of the aged;
parents are the pride of their children.
~ Proverbs 17:6

2 comments:

Patti said...

My dear friend Rebekah, who is the mother of four, grandmother of 14, said to me not long ago, with some dismay in her voice, "My kids don't rock their babies!" Maybe it's because we all read the same books that tell us that our kids will never learn to fall asleep by themselves if we rock them too much. Maybe it's because there is always something else to do that seems more pressing. Maybe it's because rocking belongs to grandparents.

I love that your parents are so woven into your family. More multi-generational families living this way would solve so many of our societal ills.

Margie said...

I suspect this picture will be a Fisher family favorite. It's a perfect representation of true love.

I have to laugh about Patti's comment about the rocker. My mom and dad were horrified that we weren't planning to rock Elizabeth thanks to all we heard about the sleep issue. But with Sarah the non-sleeper, gosh, we rocked like mad, held, cooed, let her sleep with us, or with a burp cloth covering her face - ANYTHING we could for shut-eye.

Funny how much less of a stickler we get after the first one...