Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Happier Things

Before I move on, a few more comments on the snake.

We're not certain what kind it was. One of Jeff's co-workers (who hails from West Virginia and ostensibly has a lot more experience with snakes than we do), after she saw the picture of it in my last post, said that she thought it was a copperhead (poisonous) or a watersnake (not poisonous). I had mentioned that when Wilma examined the mouth, she couldn't find any fangs...what I didn't know is that snakes (some? all? who knows?) keep their fangs hidden until they need them, and then BOOM!...you know the rest. When Jeff got home that evening, he was thoroughly examining the snake's mouth--practically turning it inside out--and sure enough, there were fangs...so I've been told, since I was not close enough to do much careful scrutiny myself. Jeff concluded at that point that it was probably a copperhead...but not to worry, he said; copperheads are not as poisonous as rattlesnakes! Later that evening after he spent a considerable amount of time googling snake pictures, he changed his tune and said it looked more like a northern watersnake. This bit of info was more comforting than the not-as-poisonous-as-rattlesnakes spiel. However--bottom line--we still don't really know what it was.

One of the things that made it difficult to positively ID it is that (in the images we found on the Internet, at least) there is so much variety within each kind of snake--differences of color, markings, etc. We never did find a picture of which we could say, "Aha! That looks EXACTLY like the snake here today." So who knows? Of all the people we know, I can't think of a single one that we could email our snake picture to and have them say for sure what it was. Oh well, enough of that!

Happier things are so much more pleasant to think about and write about and read about, so here's a picture from yesterday that I particularly like. Josiah asked to hold Tobin (which he doesn't do as much now as he used to when Tobin was a newborn; I guess the novelty of it is wearing off!), and I was delighted to let him do that. Josiah knows how to gently tickle Tobin. There's nothing like getting a smile or a laugh from a little one to brighten the heart!

Another happy thing for me is that my weight is going down--slowly, but surely. On Monday morning, it was 153.4 pounds. I've only made minor changes in my eating and exercise, but it's really rewarding to see it paying off. The changes so far have been: not eating after supper (I miss my bedtime snacks, but it's worth it!), drinking a lot more water, limiting my portion size (especially at supper...although I'm not bringing out measuring cups and food scales and being scientific with it), and walking for exercise about once a week. This week I'm adding crunches into the mix since I really want to target my abdominal muscles.

One last happy thing to mention: I love FlyLady! I'm on day 9, and it feels good! My mom has even noticed the difference around here and is impressed by this Mrs. FlyLady, whoever she is! :)

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Glad you found out what kind of snake it was...BUT any snake is a bad snake, in my book.

Congrats on the weight loss. It always feels good to have a goal and actually meet it!!

Sally said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! Do you get really hungry until bedtime? I get fiercely hungry, and end up eating a fourth meal of cereal and fruit, most of the time.

I sneaked a look at the FlyLady website. I want to explore it more when I have bit more time. Maybe I can even work in some of her ideas and get my place in better shape. Right now, I am just trying to get some weeds under control in the garden, and try to get some large saplings out of my flowerbeds before they become full-grown trees! It's the worst I have ever let it get around here, and it's pretty bad.

Davene said...

Sally, once in a while I get really hungry before bedtime, but usually not. This is so different from a few months ago when I felt like I just couldn't eat enough; I was always hungry and felt like I couldn't get full. I suppose it was that early breastfeeding season that made me so ravenous, but now that Tobin's not nursing as often, maybe that's the reason I don't get as hungry. It sounds like cereal and fruit is a really good meal for your fourth one; if it was me, I'd be doing cookies--or at least, ice cream!

With FlyLady...again I have to say that a few months ago, I would not have been ready at all to attempt this plan! I can't believe what a difference a few months make! And in some areas, I'm still in survival mode...not on top of the game at all...just hanging on (like certain flower beds). :) But I am happy to be making progress on some things! I don't get too discouraged as long as I'm moving ahead in at least one area. All in good time though... I think each mom makes the adjustment differently after each child is born. And you have TWO little ones still so your hands are definitely full! I think you're doing great!!! :)

Sally said...

You're a great encourager! Thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh I love flylady, too - she really changed my thinking, and it's easy to keep up the basics, too. I CAN do anything for 15 minutes!
Well done with the weight loss, too.

jeanette said...

I just read your previous post on the snake. Oh goodness! I'm with you-the only good snake is a dead one. Thank God for a wonderful and courageous neighbor. :)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the weight loss! I have been cutting back and walking 3-5 times a week, it does make a difference.

As for the snake my personal opinion is that it is a copperhead, we live in a really snakey area and we have had this kind of snake. My suggestion is get a cat, we got one last year and the only kind od snakes we see now are dead.

Your boys are so sweet, I love raising boys!

Take care
Michelle

Gina said...

I'm a total Flylady junkie. The picture of Josiah and Tobin is just beautiful. What cuties!

Misty said...

Davene, great job with the weight loss!I love your ability to set reasonable goals. I tend to set unrealistic ones and then give up completely when I can't meet them. I guess I have that all or nothing mindset. Eating at night is when I have a problem too. I know I've stayed up too late when I start craving chocolate..lol!
As for the flylady, I have looked at that quite some time ago and keep it in my head but just can't get motivated enough to do it. Keep us updated on how it's working!