Sunday, June 1, 2008

When My Babies Are Grown...

...I'll still need to go into the room we use as our nursery, stand in the place where our changing table now stands, and gaze out the window. Counting all the times I've changed diapers in that spot, clothed baby boys fresh from a bath, held them in my arms as I've sung their lullaby and prayed before gently laying them in their crib, etc...counting all that, I must have spent hours in that spot.

I gain such peace from looking out that window. From it, I can see our next-door neighbors' yard, and the tranquil scene of their buggy in their old, small barn...sometimes their horse grazing in the pasture...sometimes their family outside, working in the garden or playing in the yard together...or, like tonight (see bottom photo), Old Order Mennonite young people on their way into the Shanks' house for a "singing" (the social event of the week for the young people, and an important part of their courtship rituals).

If I look a little further, I see the pastures belonging to the next-to-the-next-door neighbors, the Klines. He owns three horses, and I get much pleasure from simply watching them. Two are usually in the same pasture; and they occasionally run together and toss their manes, appearing to really enjoy each other's companionship.

Sometimes I think, "I wonder what I'll use this room for when it's no longer needed for a nursery?" It's really a delightful room with the cozy size of it and the way the late afternoon sunshine simply pours into it. My mother used it as a sewing room; but since I'm (regretfully) not a seamstress, I'll find another use for it.

No matter what I use it for, I'm sure there will be times in the years to come when I look out the window and through the eyes of my heart, see these days when I stand there to care for my little ones. I'm sure I'll smile...and probably shed a tear, too.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

I love how sentimental you are. I share your mother's heart face similar thoughts every season when either packing away small clothes or another school season starts. Everything like that is a reminder of growing up and maturing.

I often wonder...will I be a crying mess at high school graduations or weddings?

Take in every moment of every day...like you do.;-)

Mamajil said...

I enjoyed your post! I can say the years fly past! Our oldest stopped by today, he has been married for about 18 months. Its such a pleasure to see him pop in and visit, he stayed the afternoon watching his siblings by the pool so I could run to the dr's with one of the little ones...I am home now and was gazing into the back yard watching him swim and play with the kids--I have to wonder where the years have gone... he is a man now, and at the same time I will say I cherished and enjoyed every stage of his growing up years. Enjoy your season! Oh and the good news is that even when they are grown....you get to enjoy them in that season too! be blessed!

Julie said...

I had a teary "mommy moment" at the wedding. I was sitting in the front row with the bridesmaids for communion. We got to walk up first, then each row went forward. It was fun to get a close-up look at who was there. When my 14 year old son, looking handsome and grown up in his black suit and red tie came forward, I started to cry wondering when he grew up like that! Hugs to you!

New Mom said...

What a beautiful view and a beautiful verbal picture of a room that has so many precious memories!

I didn't know you were actual neighbors with "real life Mennonites." :} Do they ride in buggies and do they view you strangely because you do not? How came you to live in that area and why are you not Mennonite also?

New Mom said...

P.S. I am really intrigued by Mennonites right now because I am reading a really good {so far} book called Martha of Mennonite Country.

Davene said...

New Mom, yes, we are neighbors with "real life Mennonites!" They do ride in buggies (although, if they need to go to town for a doctor's appointment or even a shopping trip to Wal-Mart, they almost always get a ride in someone's car). However, our nearest Wal-Mart does have a hitching rack in the parking lot for buggies, and sometimes the Old Order Mennonites who live close enough do drive their buggies there.

We have a VERY good relationship with our neighbors! They accept us for who we are and the convictions we have, and we do the same for them. I'm not sure if all such conservative groups have as good of a relationship with the "outside world" as these Mennonites do, but they really are about the best people you could ever hope to have for friends and neighbors.

Our boys love our neighbors' daughters (they have 3). We call them "the girls," and Josiah and David are often heard begging to "go play with the girls." We don't have to worry that they'll be corrupted by worldly influences when they play with them. :) And it's nice that our boys have sisters-of-a-sort to grow up with.

We live here in this area because this is where I grew up. Literally, where I grew up, since we live in the same house where I lived my whole life until I went away to college.

One of the unique things about this area is the wide diversity of people: there are very highly-educated people and people who only finished 8th grade...world travelers and those who have never been out of Virginia...Democrats, Republicans, and completely non-political (like the Old Orders)...farmers and computer technology workers...families who have lived in this country for generations and many, many immigrants. Tons of diversity which we highly value!

The Mennonite culture is a very important part of that, and we treasure it. There are so many various kinds of Mennonites (from very conservative to very progressive); and it's funny that you asked why we aren't Mennonite because, in fact, within the past year, we have become part of a Mennonite church (although when asked what we "are," we still prefer to simply be known as Christians, rather than a certain denomination, especially because our journey with God has taken us through quite a wide variety of denominations). Our Mennonite church however does not stand out as far as outward appearances--"regular" clothes, no buggies, etc. (although a few of the women still wear a prayer covering in the services).

Because of the Old Order Mennonites' reluctance to have their picture taken, I never whip out my camera and take pictures of my neighbors like I do of everything else in my life! :) The pictures I've taken of them have been few and far between...and on the sly. ;) So that's probably the reason why you didn't realize we live beside "real Mennonites!"

I haven't read that book you're reading now, but it sounds interesting! If you have other questions, just let me know, and I'll try to answer...or find out the answer from my neighbor. :)

New Mom said...

Thanks for responding, Davene. I just think that is so interesting--and a wagon hitching post at Wal-Mart, you should get a picture! I would love to know what a day in the life of an "Old Order Mennonite" would be. Unfortunately, they probably aren't much for blogging! It's great that your boys get to see so many ways different cultures worship God.