Monday, June 9, 2008

Moment of the Day

...brought to you by Josiah (and his newly-acquired reading talents) and David (who thinks it's grand to listen to his big brother read a story).

Before lunch, I told the boys that after I finished the little project I was working on, I would have time to sit down and read to them for a while until it was time to eat. So the boys each grabbed a book off the bookshelf and plopped on the little couch to wait for me. It was heart-warming to glance over and see this scene: Josiah and David cuddled up to each other, with Josiah holding up the book David chose and reading it aloud.

The book is We're Going on a Leaf Hunt by Steve Metzger, and I got it at a yard sale about a month ago. The price was 50 cents which was well worth it because we have already read that book over and over and over again! In fact, both boys have part of it memorized, and Josiah is able to read the whole thing with very little help.

I love to catch my boys in tender, affectionate moments like this!

**********

Since it's Monday, it's time for my weekly weigh-in. The scale this morning said 155.2 pounds which is up a little from last week. That's not the direction I want it to go! But I'm actually surprised that it wasn't higher this morning based on my food habits from this past week. I could blame it on the anniversary dinner (followed by Kline's ice cream) last Saturday...or the popcorn we took to a local baseball game last night (the popcorn which was for the boys, but which I absentmindedly munched on, too)...or the turtles I made this past week because I wanted to take some to a family in our church that just had a baby (but of course, I had to save part of the batch for us, too). Oh, well, this is a new week and a fresh start, so hopefully this week will go better!

**********

File this one under "No Wonder the Bathroom Stinks."

I discovered a rather unpleasant odor in our upstairs bathroom yesterday, but I attributed it to the decidedly repulsive odor coming from our downstairs library these days (stubborn remnant of last week's plumbing problems and overflowing washing machine). I thought, "Well, the smell is probably coming up to the bathroom from the laundry chute which connects to the library."

That wasn't the problem however, and it wasn't until I emptied the bathroom trash this morning that I found the real source of the smell--a dead fish in the trashcan. Yuck! I knew there had been a dead fish in the fishtank at the end of last week, and I was grateful that my dearly-loved dead-fish-disposer took care of the problem. His normal method of burial is the toilet so I naturally assumed that the deceased critter was released to swim forever in a land of watery bliss. I assumed wrong. As I learned this morning, it doesn't take too long for a dead fish to start stinkin' up the bathroom. At least I found it before the smell penetrated the whole upstairs!

We have had so many foul odors around here for the past week or so that the only thing I can say is I'm so glad I'm not pregnant!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your boys are adorable! I wish I had more pictures of my siblings and I growing up. Before digital cameras it wasn't cost effective to develop every moment of our lives on film like it is now.

I'm glad to hear you didn't get down on yourself about the weigh in. Your right in realizing you deserve a new start. Besides when you do it for yourself who cares how long it takes or how you get there.

Love the fish story! You are so right about being grateful you are not pregnant! So funny...

Sally said...

Hmmm, maybe there is a fish in my bathroom! Since we don't have any fish here, I doubt it. Andrew commented on a "persistent bad smell" in there today, so I need to figure something out. I can't smell anything, but my nose isn't as sensitive as his is.

I will be happy when Paul can read. Then, he won't have to be begging me to read so much of the time. First, he will have to learn to talk!