Monday, June 30, 2008

He Makes Me Laugh

He also occasionally makes me want to pull my hair out, but I'll focus on the laughing part today!

Here are some things I don't want to forget about David:

~ He says "bitamin," instead of "vitamin." He is always eager to take his "bitamins"; and if I forget to give them to him, he'll say, "Have we had bitamins today?"

~ He says "wis," instead of "this." When pointing things out, he'll say, "And wis and wis and wis and wis..."

~ He says "gwink," instead of "drink." "I need a gwink," he sometimes demands; and when prompted with, "How do you ask?" he'll add a hearty "PLEASE." We're still working with him about asking politely the first time, "May I please have a drink?" (or "gwink" as the case may be).

~ He does NOT like to be teased about how he says things. If he asks for a gwink and I hand him one and say, "Here's your gwink," he gets upset and says, "No, gwink!" He hears the difference but can't replicate the correct pronunciation, but that doesn't stop him from wanting others to say it the right way!

~ The other day he said, "Do I look funny, or do I look funny?" I thought, "Where did you learn that humor technique, of giving a choice but both choices being the same thing?" As it turns out, he learned it from a Clifford movie we borrowed from the library in which one of the dogs says, "Am I right, or am I right?" Well, I'm not so fond of the attitude implied in that last question; but I did think David was indeed funny when he posed his form of the question to me. Later that day I heard him say, "Can I eat the brown one, or can I eat the brown one?"

~ Last week when he was catching a little cold, he started announcing that there was a frog in his throat--apparently, his way of telling us that his throat hurt. Throughout the next day or two, we heard progress reports of how the frog was doing, and we were certainly glad when he told us that the frog had left.

~ A few Sundays ago, the children in our church had the opportunity to get up in front of the congregation and sing a few songs, as well as recite the Beatitudes. David was quite possibly the youngest child up there, since he's the youngest in his Sunday school class and none of the younger classes were part of that group (for obvious reasons, since the toddlers and babies just didn't seem to have 12 verses of Scripture memorized!). Anyway, the whole time the kids were up front, David didn't open his mouth to sing a single note or recite a single verse. He did, however, look around curiously at everything and everyone, flash his charming grin, and carefully arrange his fingers in the "I love you" sign in sign language which he then held up in the air and pointed towards Jeff and I. I melted. How could I not when my 3 year-old, oblivious to everything else going on around him, made the effort to communicate his love to us in that way?

~ Lastly, a few evenings ago, I let Josiah and David watch a short movie in the last half-hour or so before Jeff got home. Usually when Jeff walks in the door, the boys enthusiastically (read: loudly) greet him, no matter what they were previously occupied with; but on this particular evening, David was strangely quiet when Jeff arrived. Even when the movie ended and we were ready to eat supper, there was no sign of David and no sound of his voice. Josiah reported that David had fallen asleep; and when I came downstairs to the library, this is what I found--David, still wearing his bike helmet and clutching an inflatable dice that Jeff had given him, sitting up in the recliner, fast asleep.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "throat frog" comment is too cute. It's fun how kids mix the figurative and the literal.

Unknown said...

Adorable! My baby had "elbows in his tummy" last time he was nervous. And I love the new pic of Tobin -- how beautiful and smiley he is!

New Mom said...

Those were the sweetest little nuggets about your David. They made me laugh, especially "can I eat the brown one, or can I eat the brown one." Kids pick up things so quickly!

MrsTribble said...

Oh my word how cute!

Crystal said...

I love the pictures of him sleeping with his bike helmet on. Priceless. :-)

Elizabeth said...

David is so CUTE! His little sense of humor is adorable :) I was laughing and laughing =)

Mamajil said...

I love this blog!! I love the way they talk and pronounce things when they are little and oh how bitter sweet when they start pronouncing things correctly...

we still every so often reminisce on how Josh (now 20) use to say his name, or how Mollie 15 said purple and now then there is Riley (4) saying lets go to the "Charm" instead of farm...when she wants to go to our property out in the country....its so fun being a mom!!! Hey and the pics are so great just love the bike helmet and inflatable dice!

Julie said...

Shani used to say "I drink a lalu" for "drink of water". So cute!