Thursday, July 24, 2008

After the Homecoming...

Life is sweet.

Sometimes I just look at Jeff and smile, as my happiness over simply having him home continues. It's so good to see him sit in his place at the table. It's so good to have him kiss me goodbye when he leaves for work in the morning. It's so good to hear peals of laughter coming from the boys as he tickles and roughhouses with them. It's so good to have him doing his usual Wednesday errands with the boys so they can have that extra daddy time.

Last evening was especially delightful since my parents were willing to babysit for us while Jeff and I had a date. I've really been trying to do a better job of scheduling dates for us (since organizational stuff is fun for me, it basically falls to me to plan babysitters, etc.)...and I find myself very refreshed in our marriage by this simple act of getting away for an hour or two to have uninterrupted conversation. Last evening, we went to a new-to-us restaurant, Clementine's, (and to Kline's afterwards for ice cream for me--Jeff didn't have any--oh, the self control!) while my parents were here with our boys, eating supper, reading stories, and playing Old Maid (David never did get the hang of that game since he would gleefully announce, "I've got the Old Maid" whenever he grabbed that particular card!) :) Over our dinner, I asked Jeff only a thousand questions, plus or minus a few. Now I feel like I really know how his trip went!

We still haven't taken the time to sit down together and look through all his pictures so he can tell me about them, but I have looked through them by myself and wanted to share a few for now. More later...
~ four of the members of his group (Eric, Beth, Loretta, and Steve), standing in front of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher (if I'm not mistaken...and I could be, since pale-stone buildings like this are extremely common there)~ Jeff surrounded by some of the students from the English camp
~ Jeff at the Western Wall, the evening of Shabbat, during their last weekend in Israel

5 comments:

Sally said...

You do a great job keeping up your marriage relationship. That is so important--and you inspire me to strive for more of the same with my own husband (even if the little extra specials are different in different marriages).

Kristen said...

I love date nights! That is something that Adam and I vowed to do and have done ever since we've been married - even after kids! And it's our advice to all of our friends who get married.

JFisher777 said...

yes... you are correct, that is the Church of the Holy Sepulchre.

Unknown said...

What an amazing place Israel must be -- so much history everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to hear you had some alone time. And to have Daddy home is even better!!