Saturday, July 19, 2008

Mom


I knew this day would come--the day when I would become "Mom." Just plain Mom.

Apparently Josiah decided that the time was right for him to grow up a little more and drop the "Mommy" name for me. Only problem is...I liked being "Mommy"! Honestly I much prefer a sweet little "Mommy" or a dear "Mama" (although my boys have never really called me that, except for when they've babbled as babies) or "Ima" (Hebrew word for "Mommy") or even an affectionate "Mother" over "Mom." "Mom" seems so teenager-like (to clarify: I like teenagers; I just don't want Josiah to be one yet) and blah.

Maybe Josiah knew I needed a little time to transition into this change because he's been warning me that it's coming. "I think I'll call you 'Mom' and call Daddy 'Dad,' OK?" he's said a number of times during the past few weeks. "OK," I always mumbled compliantly, but then secretly rejoiced when he forgot to call me by the new name and slipped back to the comfortable and familiar "Mommy." For the past few days, however, it's been "Mom" that's come out of his mouth so it's looking like this change might last.

I don't know why I seem to mourn all these transitions so much. I rejoice in the man (well, the 6 year-old version of it) that he's becoming, and I delight to see the maturing process in him. But when things like this happen, they seem to knock the wind out of my sails for a little while until I can wrap my mind around the new reality and untie the apron strings a little more.

I'll be OK in a little bit, dearest Josiah...just give me time to have a mind change about this. I'll come around. I always do.

Love,
Mom


12 comments:

pyrotechny said...

I'm with you. My mother absolutely insisted that we call her "mommy" ...as in she wouldn't answer. My guess is that she went through the same thing ...and she didn't ever want to be called "mahhhhum". So I found myself, too, wondering if I should institute the same moratorium upon my progeny. I gave up. Like you, I decided it wasn't that important. Although it still grates on my nerves from time to time. At least they don't call me thier "old lady". (smile)

Mamajil said...

OH NO!!! The Mommy to Mom transition is hard!!! Mama still sticks around here but I get the "mom" thing too....I love the "mommy" stage its my favorite!
It is a bitter sweet thing to see these babies grow up!
I'm glad for you guys that the days are starting to fly by!!

Anonymous said...

My boys call me Mom and sometimes Mama, but oh how I miss Mommy! By the way, those are beautiful photos.

Take Care,
Michelle

Valerie said...

Davene--
Have enjoyed reading about Jeff's trip and also your and the boys' activities while he is away.

I was just looking for something for school on ebay and ran across this person selling lots of children's books--Thought you may be interested--looks like they have some good deals. (And I know we can't pass up good deals on books!)
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZmickeyandthebabe

Hope you can find some good items!

Unknown said...

What a lovely header photos -- infact, all these photos are darling. My little person is only three and switches in and out of "mum" and "mummy". I would like to be "mummy" forever!

Christin said...

Yep. Charis and Selah started that one a few months ago. We made it a joke, where I laughingly corrected them about my "real name". :)

It's worked for the most part, though Charis slips back into it from time to time. but how can I complain? she hears me saying it to MY mom. *grin*

Sally said...

Well, I'll be happy when Paul calls me, well, anything, at this point! We're still waiting for him to talk.

Julie said...

As the mom of a teenage son, I must add that teenage boys can have endearing names that they call their mom, too. Just not in public and certainly not posted on a blog for all to see. They never cease to grow and change and surprise us.

Anonymous said...

I am not looking forward to that transition either. I'm glad you can see the silver lining!

Anonymous said...

I am not looking forward to that transition either. I'm glad you can see the silver lining!

New Mom said...

Yeah, I don't think I would like that too much either, since it has a negative connotation for me-- Growing up, we called my mother "mom" only when we were exasperated. We would cry, "Mo-om, why can't I go to the party?" or some such question. Luckily, I will probably be called "mamma" since that is what I always call my mother {when I'm not exasperated ;P } I can handle that a little better than "mom."

Margie said...

I'm Mom, Mama, and Mommy all at once. Elizabeth calls me one of the three, and I'll answer to all. I'm getting caught up on reading - we've been out of town and are leaving again today. Am SO glad Jeff's on his way home! Can't wait to hear about the homecoming when we get back.