Sunday, July 20, 2008

Days Seventeen & Eighteen - Waiting for Daddy

Waiting is the name of the game these days. With Jeff's return so close we can almost taste it, I marvel anew at how time plays tricks on us--sometimes racing, sometimes dragging, sometimes doing both at the same time.

As I write this, Jeff is in the air, somewhere between Tel Aviv and Germany where they have a lay-over. The last I heard from him was a few hours ago, from the airport in Tel Aviv, when they had cleared security and were waiting to board their plane. I pray for safety, first of all...and beyond that, at least a little sleep for him on the plane. :)

This evening here at home was one of those times when the minutes seemed to crawl by; and I finally got to the point of feeling like, "Hey, would somebody please come rescue me?" :) Josiah had gone to play with the neighbors, and David was finding it hard to be entertained without his big brother. Even Tobin was a little grumpy. The solution was simple: I asked my mother if she and Dad would like to have a movie night at their house with their youngest two grandsons...oh, and could they please provide the popcorn as well? :) Why yes, Mother said, they certainly could! And what's more--she thanked me for asking them. "We don't know when and how you need help," she said, "so we want you to let us know what's going on and ask us when you need us!" I often feel a bit reluctant to ask because I don't want to impose on them or take advantage of their hospitality and assistance, but I am learning to simply open my mouth and ask when I feel like things are going downhill. I've got the best parents! :) With their help, the evening passed splendidly...and three tired boys got tucked into bed a few hours later where they quickly fell asleep, leaving me to enjoy a quiet, peaceful home.

I suppose this will be my last official picture of the day from Israel (although I'm sure I'll post more pictures from Jeff's trip after he gets back). Here is a sunset over the Mediterranean, taken near Haifa, from March 2005.
And one more video that Jeff sent a few days ago. This was a drum class (?) that was part of the English camp. Wouldn't you love to be this drum teacher? You wouldn't? Nah, neither would I. I'd rather keep my hearing! :)

7 comments:

pyrotechny said...

Your mom thanked you? I love it! She is so awesome! What a wonderful communicator. You are blessed! Give her a hug for me!

Michelle said...

I wish that my sons had their grandparents near, what a wonderful relationship for your children to have.

Take Care
Michelle

Anonymous said...

What a blessing to have your parents close by and willing to help! You and your kids are truly blessed!!!

Mamajil said...

Its such a blessing to have parents near by!!
It's nice to know you have back up when you need a break to regroup!!

Sally said...

I can almost feel the time crawling for you. I am so glad Jeff will soon be home! I know how it is for me when Andrew is gone just for 4-5 days each year to business meetings in CA. I can't imagine this long. I think you have done excellently in his absence. Hang in there a little bit longer!

Unknown said...

Lovely last photo of Israel. I'm so glad for you that Jeff will be home soon -- you've done wonderfully while he's been away. How lucky we are to have kind husbands to share our lives with.

New Mom said...

I'll bet your boys can hardly wait to see their daddy!