Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A Dog Named Jasper...

...or Jack. The above-30 folks in our household call him Jasper. The younger-than-10 group calls him Jack. So we said his name could be Jasper Jack Fisher, but Josiah corrected us by saying that his name is Jasper but his nickname is Jack. When we asked Josiah why he wanted to call him Jack, he said earnestly, "Because I've always wanted a friend named Jack!" :)

So...who is he? And what is he doing in our house?

He is a completely adorable puppy that Jeff brought home this evening. I saw Jeff walking up the steps from the garage with something in his arms--something strange, something different than what he normally carries. It took a few seconds for me to realize what it might be--and then, all dinner preparations were ceased as I quickly went over and sat on the floor, joined by the boys, to hold and cuddle and pet this beautiful little creature--so soft and shiny!

We had "talked" about getting another dog, our discussion being spurred by the fact that our 10-doors-up neighbor's dog had puppies (11 of them--can you imagine?!) and we could have one if we wanted it. But I didn't realize we were really getting one...and that we were getting it TODAY! It would be a little like Jeff coming home after work one day and finding me holding a child--our new child. "Well, dear, we talked about adopting a child. Here he is!" ;)

I never know what Jeff is going to do. He keeps me on my toes. He's very good for me. And this has happened before--in fact, the day we got our other dog, Molly, was very similar to this one, except that he called from work that January (2006) day and said, "What would you think if we got a dog?"

"Well, OK, that would be nice. Maybe when it's spring..."

"Great, I'll bring her home."

Um, thanks for the advance warning. ;)

Anyway, Jasper is the sweetest puppy--much, much calmer than Molly was as a puppy (although she was very sweet, too!). He's shy and a bit of a scaredy cat--rather, scaredy dog. Our Plan A for getting another dog was to have him in the pasture with Molly, but it seems like it will take some time for the dogs to get used to each other. Plus, Jasper is small enough to slip through the fence easily, so we don't want to put him up there now. For tonight, he's snoozing on our porch, after having spent some time indoors this evening. I always said that I never wanted an indoor dog, but I don't know. He sure is a sweetheart... :)

11 comments:

michelle said...

how completely adorable!!! :)

New Mom said...

That is the cutest little puppy!

Margie said...

This is great news. I can't wait to hear more about Jasper/Jack.

Julie said...

Look at those beautiful, huge ears and paws! Now my kids are really going to start pleading for a puppy.
May he bring lots of fun and very few puddles :)

Christy said...

Thanks for visiting me on my blog!
Your new puppy is adorable, how could you say "no" to a face (and ears!) like that.

I like the picture of you on the swing with your husband by your side. Very sweet.

Kristen said...

Ahhh, how cute. We didn't quite plan on our second dog the way it happened, but when we bread our "momma" dog we ended up just having to keep one. I love 'em.

Emily Joy said...

You are very lucky!
I keep asking my dad for one...

Lisa said...

What a cute puppy!! I love the floppy ears!

Kristy said...

A-D-O-R-A-B-L-E!!!! Davene, he is precious! Oh my goodness, I could just squeeze him. Your boys are going to have so much fun growing up with a dog!

Sally said...

Your house is never dull with the children, and it sounds like Jeff will pick up whenever/wherever they leave off! You are great to be so flexible. The puppy looks so cute! Enjoy him every moment--he'll grow up faster than the boys, I'll bet.

Elizabeth said...

I have to say he is the cutest little puppy I have seen in a long time!!!! =)