Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Forgot to Mention...

...that Jasper is a mix of black lab (his daddy) and basset hound (his mommy, from whom he obviously inherited his adorable ears!). Mixing those two breeds seems kind of funny to me, but I love the result!!!So much for having an indoor dog. Jeff got right to work on a pen for Jasper today, and after a trip to town for supplies, had it built by early afternoon. It's actually a really good thing for Jasper to be outside; he's got room to move and will grow used to the other animals we have. Besides, cleaning up after a dog is not exactly my cup of tea! When he gets bigger, we'll transition him into the pasture with Molly and the calves.

There is nothing like a boy and a dog--unless it's two boys (or even three) and a dog! I am thoroughly enjoying the way Josiah interacts with Jasper. This is what I was imagining when we got Molly a couple of years ago, but Josiah just wasn't ready for it then. We still have Molly, of course, and Josiah is definitely braver with her now than he used to be; but I can visualize Jasper growing up with our boys in a different way than has happened with Molly. It also helps that we got Jasper in the summer when it's so pleasant and easy to be outside, giving us lots of bonding time with him.

I also forgot to mention my weight from Monday morning: 147.6 pounds. 10 pounds down (well, almost)...7 more to go...yippee! :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a cute puppy! and a great companion for your boys. I am a softy when it comes to dogs especially when they're little and cute.

Wow, 10 pounds already. That's impressive.

Emily Joy said...

Your pup is ADORABLE! Thanks for posting pics :)

pyrotechny said...

It's after watching my own sons with the dog, that I realized that there really is this "connection" between boys and their dogs. It's great to watch them play together.

Sally said...

Oh, Davene, Josiah & David, and Jasper are so cute! That is what I envision for our Paul some day. I am glad to hear it is better when they are older. Folks think we should get Paul a dog now, but Andrew and I think we should wait. Jasper looks so cute!

Congratulations on your weight loss! You have a lot of self-control. Your diet is preferable to this crash pancreatitis method. I'm going to have to get some muscles back sometime.

jeanette said...

oh good gracious! those pics are utterly adorable!!!

a basset and a lab?! I would have never put the 2 together..but makes for a cute combo. :)

congrats on the weight loss!it's not easy-I know!