Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Day Six - A Hard Day

I've had to drag myself to the computer tonight to write something for this day. Maybe it's obvious to my regular readers, but I tend to write more when I'm happy. Some people write more when they're sad since writing is an outlet for them to release the pressure of unhappiness or depression. But for me, I'm much more inspired to write when I'm overflowing with joy...which is not the case tonight...

Today was the most difficult day yet for the boys and I. We had a particularly difficult "piranha hour," and my parents who were here eating supper with us got to witness a full display of disobedience and bad attitudes. Ugh.

However, the evening did get better, especially after the boys fell asleep. :) With a challenging day today, surely tomorrow will be better! Live ever in hope, right?

So--on a more cheerful note--some pictures that Jeff sent today:
~ a terraced grapevine at Nazareth Village, done in the first century style
~ the students in one of the smaller classes (Josiah and David were so excited to see this picture, although David did ask, "Where's Daddy?" and didn't realize that Jeff would be the one taking the picture...but the funniest thing is that J & D were thrilled to see Jeff's blue backpack on the table at the front of the room...they--and I--cling to any kind of link to Jeff) :)

Jeff wrote that he volunteered to help tomorrow afternoon with the construction of a stone mikvah that is being built (using ancient methods) at Nazareth Village. Working outside...in Israel...in July...in the afternoon...moving stones and mixing mortar...hmm, doesn't sound like much fun to me! :)

And now, for the Israel cultural note of the day... This picture was taken on May 12, 2005, Israel's Independence Day. Since we just celebrated America's Independence Day, I was reminded of this picture showing the typical Israeli celebration for their big day: going to the park for a picnic. This was a huge park, but it was absolutely packed with people. Groups were everywhere, with tents, canopies, small grills, tables, coolers, etc.--all the items required for a great picnic. And although I can't say for sure what percentage of the people got there on foot, what percentage came on public transportation, and what percentage drove there in their own car, I think it's safe to say that the drivers of their own car would be the smallest category. We went on public transportation, and I remember how inconvenient it was to lug all this stuff around, much more of a bother than simply loading up the ol' minivan and driving somewhere like we do in the States. But that's how things were done there, so that's how we lived, too. In any case, I remember being shocked by how crowded this park was...and being assured by the "natives" that every park in Israel was similarly packed on that day!

9 comments:

JFisher777 said...

One correction I need to mention, I found out the mikvah is being built to match 1st century style... but it is not being built strictly with 1st century methods. There is a tractor to crush the bedrock like a jackhammer.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you had a tough day. It's never easy when you're on your own, but much more difficult when your kids don't cooperate. I always say under my breath "this to shall pass".

Wow, how amazing is it to see so many people celebrating in the park. We take so much for granted here in the states. Just the thought of having to take coolers on public transportation makes me stressed. I am feeling very grateful for my car right now!

Marie said...

I'm so sorry you had a bummer of a day :( Hopefully your day tomorrow will make up for today!!!
I love hearing about your husband in Israel! I will continue to keep him in my prayers!!!

Unknown said...

You call it the "piranha hour" -- for us it's always been called the "arsenic hour" but it amounts to the same thing! Nevermind, it passes. I actually met a small boy the other day, and when I told him he was cute the replied "Mum says I'm cute only when I'm sleeping". Isn't that sad?

Margie said...

We call it the "fall apart hour" at our house. I, sometimes, can fall apart, too! Sorry it was so tough yesterday, but I hope today is easier. I'm sad, too, about Morning's comment about the little boy, but I'm glad she told him he was cute.

Lisa said...

Oh Davene! I really do hope today is going better for you. Is there any way your parents could watch the boys for as little as an hour so you could go somewhere by yourself? That always helps...a little alone time.

Anonymous said...

You haven't written yet today--I hope that doesn't mean today has been even worse. Grace and peace to you--and to your little boys!

Mamajil said...

Davene,
I am so sorry you have had a hard day! It isn't easy holding down the fort all by yourself, as I was praying for you and your family I was reminded of Psalms 139:5 "you go before me and follow me you place your hand of blessing on my head"...(God has already gone ahead you are not alone)
It goes on to say you can never escape from God's presence.

Also I kept thinking about Philippians4:8-9

Hang in there tomorrow is a new day!!

I pray you will be encouraged, and that the peace of the Lord will renew your strength and spirit.

You can do all things through Christ who strengthens you and so can your boys. What a great opportunity for them to witness and experience the joy that comes from resting on our Savior and relying on God's strength during your husbands absence.
take care!!

Davene said...

Thanks so much, everyone, for your encouragement!

Morning, that is such a sad thing for that little boy to feel unloved and uncherished. I'm glad you could build him up a little.

Lisa, the crazy thing about yesterday is that my parents did keep the boys for a little while for which I was very grateful...but the behavior problems started as soon as they returned to our house. I asked my mom, "Did they act this poorly at your house?" Of course, the answer was no. I've heard from other moms that they experience the same thing; the kids go to pieces when Mommy is around!

Oh, well, today has been much better so I'll simply appreciate this good day, realizing that life is a series of ups and downs...and the downs help us appreciate the ups more! :)