Monday, February 2, 2009

16 Weeks...

16 weeks and 2 days pregnant, with David Dear by my side to help you see how big my tummy is now...Josiah took this picture all by himself, by the way :)
This week of pregnancy started off with a bang--the kind of bang that leaves you hugging the toilet at midnight, wondering why in the world it's called "morning sickness," and realizing again why Josiah, every time he throws up, screams as if the world is ending. If I wasn't 32 years old, I might have been tempted to scream a little, too. At 16 weeks pregnant, I thought for sure I'd be done with all this unpleasantness; but no, I needed a little reminder of what reality is like for so many pregnant women. Once again, I thank God that in all my pregnancies, I've gotten off easy in the nausea department.

The next big event of this week came later that day, although this was decidedly more positive: I was certain that I felt fetal movement. Actually, I've known in a vague way that I've been feeling the baby for a week or two now; but on Saturday, while I was walking across the kitchen, I felt something that made me stop and think, "That HAD to be the baby." The best word I can think of to describe the way these early movements are feeling to me is "quivering."

Here's a random thought I've been having the past few days...I think this baby will be smaller than Tobin (who was 8 pounds, 14 ounces at birth). I have no idea why I think that, but I decided to note it here so that I can either look back after the birth and say, "I was right!" or "Ha ha ha, how silly of me to think I would have a smaller one!"

Yesterday, I was talking with a friend from church; and we got into the familiar boy-or-girl conversation. We agreed, of course, that either would be just fine; and my friend told me that with hers, she didn't care one way or the other AS LONG AS IT WAS HEALTHY. (I'm going to climb up on my soapbox now, so watch out.) It amazes me that the vast majority of people--Christians!--who would never say, "We'll only be happy if it's a girl," or "We know God will bless us with a boy," don't hesitate a second to say, "It doesn't matter to us what our child is, as long as it is healthy." What??? Do we only trust God for the gender of our child, but not for his/her state of health? Would we only accept a healthy child from the Lord, but not one who was sick or handicapped? Do we feel like either a boy or a girl is a blessing, but a physically or mentally impaired one is not? Are we so accustomed to hearing this sentiment expressed that it no longer raises the hackles on our necks? No wonder 85-90% of Down Syndrome babies are aborted! (This article from the New York Times says 90%.) With a percentage that high, I think it's safe to assume that some of those mothers choosing to abort are "Christians."

It's not that Jeff and I particularly want a handicapped child. It's not that I feel full of courage when I think about the prospect of raising a special needs child. It's not that we're asking for one. We are, however, asking for God to give us whatever He knows is best for us--be it boy, girl, healthy, sick, autistic, Down Syndrome, hole in the heart, missing a limb, etc. With gratitude and joy, we receive from God's hand whatever He reaches out to give to us.

With all these thoughts swirling in my head, I was particularly moved by these words from The Release of the Spirit by Watchman Nee (a book that Jeff just finished reading and recommended to me):
Oh, we must realize that all the experiences, troubles and trials which the Lord sends us are for our highest good. We cannot expect the Lord to give better things, for these are His best. Should one approach the Lord and pray, saying, "Oh, Lord, please let me choose the best?" I believe the Lord would tell him, "What I have given you is the best; your daily trials are for your greatest profit."

I'll climb down from my soapbox now, but pity the next person who remarks to me, "As long as it's healthy, right?" They just might get an earful!!! :)

Last night as I was reading back through the archives of Kate's blog, I saw this video she had shared. It brought me to tears--ah, no big surprise there!--but I wanted to include it here to share again the wonder that I feel as I go through my days, part of the miracle of new life that God is doing. To be a partner with him in the act of creation is beyond expression. I am unbelievably blessed.

8 comments:

Grace said...

You are the most beautiful preggy that I have seen, Davene. :)

Debbie in CA : ) said...

As a mom of two handicapped ones, I can only cheer and applaud your willingness to let God be God and do the deciding without parameters from us. Shortly before I delivered my twins a friend popped off with the "as long as it's healthy" cliche and I just shrugged and said, "I'll take whatever." She stopped and made a face, then laughed, and carried on. Later my husband asked why I said that to her, I replied, "Because it's true."

And it still is!! : D

Valerie said...

I just wrote an insanely long comment and then deleted it.

To make what I had said so much shorter let me just say I agree!
We are happy to be pregnant and we are happy to accept whatever the Lord has for us. Healthy would be a bonus, but there would be no less love for a baby with special needs.

Debbie said...

Hi Davene, I never thought of that sentence like that, what a eye opener. I used your link on my blog for other people to come and read, I hope you didn't mind. I totally agree with everything you've said. When my daughter has Nathan, he will be the miracle himself. Debbie

Sally said...

I think Josiah did great with the camera! As usual, you look wonderful and I can tell your baby is growing!

Yes, God gives us his very best, without asking our opinions. However, I am human, and with all my heart I want our children to have perfect health, the ones born and the ones (Lord willing) yet to be born. I will pray for them to be healthy as long as I live. That is not saying I would love any child who wasn't healthy any less. No, but I still want healthy children, according to His will. I don't necessarily disagree with you, I'm just a little more human.

I absolutely love this video! Thanks for including it.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Hi Davene,
I'll keep praying for you pregnancy and your baby. Your family is so precious. I have a question: I know you are using Sonlight. My son just started reading "A Question of Yams" and I wanted to know how many pages Sonlight suggests they read? Not necessarily for this book, but just in general for chapter books. Thanks, Kristal

Elizabeth said...

Davene, I love the picture that Josiah took of you and David. :)

And thank you for the back ground info! :) I love the one I am using and I love your blue one as well :)

Margie said...

Davene- just getting back to this now, and I think I might have left something to this effect in an earlier comment, but I, too, am surprised by how many Christians are unhappy about the gender of their baby. I have also heard of another Christian couple (friends of friends) aborting a Down baby. So I'm clapping as you write from atop your soapbox, because I so agree. And yeah, throwing up is NO FUN. I didn't feel Elizabeth kick until the 24th week; I undoubtedly felt Sarah kick at 16, and every minute from then until she was born. Carrying a baby is an amazing experience.