Saturday, February 28, 2009

Halfway

Today I hit the 20-week milestone, halfway through this pregnancy (more or less). As I remember the anxiety I had at the beginning about whether I would even be able to sustain this pregnancy or would miscarry, I breathe an extra prayer of thanks today for the immense privilege of having this little one inside me, safely growing and developing thus far.

I haven't written much about pregnancy cravings, but here's my latest one: Snyder's Hot Buffalo Wing pretzel pieces and Quick Refresher. Quick Refresher* is a legendary drink in the Huffman family, made famous by my grandmother who always seemed to have this on hand to be consumed voraciously by us. I thought everyone knew what Quick Refresher was until I left the shelter of my Virginia family circle and went to college in Pennsylvania and then got married and moved to California. "Quick Refresher?" my friends would say, "What's THAT?" And then they would laugh in gentle derision at what they thought was a silly name. Let 'em laugh...I'll drink it all myself! :)

The craving for these pretzel pieces is a little strange since I don't normally snack on spicy things; that's Jeff's specialty, not mine. But for some reason, I find the zing in these pretzels very appealing these days. I don't think I'd even tasted them before this pregnancy since the thought of eating them had never appealed to me before. Now I'm making up for lost time and munching on these quite often. :)

Gotta love the freedom that comes from being pregnant and basically able to eat whatever you want!

* To make Quick Refresher, you simply mix 3/4 cup Tang, 3/4 cup sugar, and 1/3 cup lemon juice with water to make a gallon.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not one for spicy things either! I loved the ultrasound pictures! That's so amazing to be able to see such a little life all put together! :-) Oh, and I think you'd like my header picture!

Sally said...

Enjoy! That Quick Refresher recipe sounds really good. Boy, I might have to try out some of those Hot Buffalo Wing pieces next time I get to the store! I'm not even pregnant, but they sure sound and look good.

Misty said...

MMM... now you go and make this pregnant lady wonder if it would be incredibly insane to actually drive to the store to get those pretzels when my husband gets home in a few minutes..lol

Unknown said...

Now one thing we don't get is buffalo wings -- I'm not really sure what they are, even! That said, we do get Tang, so Quick Refresher is something I do understand. And would happily gulp down by the glassful.

Davene said...

Morning, it's always interesting to me to get a glimpse of your unique Australian perspective. :)

Buffalo wings are actually chicken wings, not buffalo at all. They are coated with a spicy sauce; and if I have my facts straight, their city of origin is Buffalo, New York...hence, the name "buffalo wings."

When I saw that there was a comment from you, my first thought was that you were going to say you don't get Tang there. Guess I was wrong! :)

When we lived in Israel, it was always odd what American products we could or couldn't find.

New Mom said...

Okay, now you made us all want to go to the store and buy some pretzels and make "quick refresher" -- what a funny little name! But it' 10:30pm here! Hmmm,,, that might be a little much to ask of Nathan??? Have you ever sent your husband out on late-night-pregnancy-snack-craving run?

Davene said...

New Mom, during my first pregnancy (when we lived in San Diego), I would send Jeff out late at night to buy milk! I drank gallons of milk during that pregnancy, and that was the one thing that I just felt I couldn't live without late at night if we didn't have any in the house. :) Jeff was a good sport about it, and it wasn't too difficult because we lived so close to little convenience stores that were always open. Here, it would take a little more time and effort to run to the store for something so I haven't done that to Jeff during this pregnancy. ;)

Charree said...

Yeah for the half-way mark. Those pretzels are looking really good.

Margie said...

Davene, it's hard to believe you're already halfway through your pregnancy. It seems like you just announced the surprise! I love the updates you give us, and especially like the pregnancy ticker. It makes pregnancy seem that much more real, if you know what I mean...