Thursday, February 26, 2009

19 Weeks...

The ultrasound!

What can I say about it? I loved every second of it and could have watched our sweet baby for much longer; the boys enjoyed it for about 5 minutes and then kept asking when it would be over. :)

When Josiah and David first saw this image...


...they said it looked like a pirate.

This view of the spine...
...prompted them to say it looked like we are having a dinosaur.

And this image of the face (with the right hand by the right eye and the left arm stretched straight up by the head)...
...made them say, "It's Gollum!" (from Lord of the Rings). Lovely.

Here are the images I like the best: the arms and hands (thanks for flexing for us, Baby, and showing off your muscles!)...
...the legs and feet (in the picture on the right below, you can actually count all the toes of one of the precious little feet)...
...and, of all things, an ear sticking out from the head. This was a new view to me; I don't remember seeing a picture quite like this from any of my other ultrasounds. In the picture, we can see the back of the baby; it's lying on its left side looking away from us with the right shoulder visible at the top. The little arrow is pointing to a protrusion from the head which is the ear! Imagine: my baby weighs about 11 ounces, and yet we can already see the ear. :)
And the big news is...








IT'S....








STILL A SURPRISE!!!! :)

Our desire to leave the gender undetected was honored by the ultrasound tech (despite Jeff's earlier dream) so, for the first time in our lives, we will approach delivery without knowing who we'll be welcoming!

I'm REALLY glad that we're doing it this way, but I have to admit that in a moment of weakness in the waiting room yesterday morning, I did ask Jeff if maybe we should go ahead and find out. He rather forcefully vetoed that suggestion. :) He said he thinks it will help me go through labor and delivery if I don't know! We'll see about that... ;)

The baby was healthily active during the ultrasound (and I certainly feel lots of movement these days), and the measurement was right on: 19 weeks, 4 days. My weight was up to 159 which the midwife (Ann) was actually happy to see because it had dropped a tiny bit before my last appointment. My blood pressure was fine, something like 126 over 70, although I didn't write it down and I don't remember for sure.

Probably the most welcome news was that my placenta has shifted upwards (and will probably continue to migrate up and not move further down), so that was a relief after the anxiety early on about the subchorionic hematoma.

Yesterday I was thinking about how very grateful I am to live in this modern age when we can have such amazing glimpses of our little ones, long before they are born. I don't understand exactly how ultrasound works, but I have an immense appreciation for it!

After we got home yesterday, I told Jeff that now it feels like the wait will be FOREVER until this baby is born! With our other ones, there was a flurry of preparation that "needed" to be made after we found out the gender; but this time, I don't really have anything special to do. After we move Tobin's clothing out of the nursery and graduate him to another room, I can't even start putting baby stuff into the dresser and armoire (like I enjoyed so much when pregnant with Tobin). How am I going to fill my time until mid-July? ;)

~ 18 weeks, 6 days...with Misty Myers at our Friday fellowship potluck
~ 19 weeks, 1 day...on the floor with Tobin, that adorable happy little sweetheart!

21 comments:

Kimberly said...

Congratulations!
I've never had an ultrasound, but I love looking at them! It's all so amazing, isn't it? God is good.

Valerie said...

We didn't find out what we were having with our 1st... then we did with #2 and #3... I want to be surprised this time. I'm not sure though if I will have enough control when it comes down to it. I want to know so that I can have fun at yard sales this summer! :)

Loved your ultrasound pictures by the way. You have some really cute ones! :)

Unknown said...

wonderful wonderful pics -- how exciting and special! I know you are busy but happy. You look very well (a bit tired, but I guess you have very full days -- and nights, probably, with little Tobin). How exciting to wait and find out the gender -- it it's blue I'm sure you have plenty of things, and if it's pink surprised friends and family will be sure to hand over plenty of clothing!

Misty said...

I love the 3d pic!! My babes are never quite as cooperative for the camera as that (and still aren't..lol) I think it is so cool that you are keeping it a surprise. I kind of wish that we also would have but it has been good knowing that a little girl will be joining us since Trinity is finally coming around to the idea! If we ever have another I think we'll keep it a secret as well. You know where to come ffor clothes in case that little cutie of yours is a girl!

Blackwell said...

How exciting to keep the gender a secret. We could never hold out, but it sure does add some extra excitment to the whole labor and delivery process!!! :) I love how your boys described the ultrasound pictures!!! LOVE IT!!

Michelle said...

How exciting! A new baby is a blessing in so many ways. Take care.

Heart of Wisdom Academy said...

Its Gollum! Thats the funniest thing I've ever heard. My kids all love Lord of the Rings and can relate. I'm glad your baby is healthy and well. God Bless you.

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Wonderful news! We elected to be surprised by #5, though EVERYONE was convinced it was a boy from this or that or another "clue." The nursery was yellow and blue gingham with classic pooh motif. When I delivered Elizabeth announced: "It's a . . . GIRL?" with the cutest puzzlement. We brought Miss Rachel home and added pink bows and a pink piglet to her room. All finished! It was fun to be surprised. : D

Keep up the good work of relaxing and enjoying the peacefulness of God's guidance . . . and hug those adorable boys for me! SO CUTE! ; ) I'll keep you in my prayers. XO

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Oh, it's so fun to have the gender be a surprise! I just loved it that way with both my kids! And it DOES give you so much more motivation (as if you have a choice!) during labor and delivery!

Hope things are good with you! Have a great weekend! :)
Carrie

Jolanthe said...

I love ultrasound pics - so sweet!!

Jo Ann said...

Those pictures are so great! I admit that I'm still laughing over the whole Gollum comment. You look fantastic!

Anonymous said...

The pictures are wonderful--but I have to say how thankful I am to hear that your placenta has migrated upwards. I know that God is faithful even when He says No--but I can't help being excited when He says Yes to a prayer for a healthy pregnancy.

Blessings!

Charree said...

How fun to get to see your little one. I am glad that everything is going well. The picture of Tobin it simply adorable. He looks so very happy.

Hope your weekend is blessed!
~Charree

Elizabeth said...

What a FUN post! I loved all the pictures and especially the remarks from the boys while looking at the ultra sound pics :)

I love that you guys are waiting to find out the gender. And that picture of Tobin is adorable! His smiles!!!!!

Marie said...

What a beautiful little baby you have in there Davene!! I am so excited to heart what this baby is! I understand your impatience! Those three little boys are getting so cute. I love their remarks on what the baby looks like! Congratulations to such a happy occasion!

Sally said...

I loved seeing my babies when they were inside of me. However, I wasn't so thrilled with the ultrasounds because they were usually uncomfortable for me--having to lay in unusual and achy positions to let them get a better view of the baby. But seeing the baby--that was great.

Uhhh, don't know how to fill in the time until delivery? You must be kidding! Or else you have things much more under control over there than I can ever hope to have things over here!

Christin said...

Can we put in our votes? I totally think you're having a... curious? ;) hee hee

Margie said...

Glad it's still a surprise! But I'm already ready to know!

Margie said...

By the way, I really love that picture of you and Tobin. Suddenly, too, he's looking so much bigger! He's losing the baby look.

Davene said...

Christin, I do plan to put up a poll at some point for people to guess all the baby details. But you don't have to make me wait until then to tell me what your guess is. :)

pyrotechny said...

Kudos for making this a surprise for you (And US) I know it is hard, but I'm with Jeff on this one. It really made it easier in labor, something to look forward to...but then, I'm the one around this house that can't stand wrapped gifts. OR unopened UPS boxes...and Brian KNOWS IT!
PS... it has been proven that a mother bonds more when she doesn't know