Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snow Day

Snow--beautiful snow--began falling yesterday afternoon; and by night, our crepe myrtle bush looked like this in the glow from our porch light...
Today gave us this view from our front window......as well as this. I always think of an elegant lady wearing old-fashioned flowing skirts when I see the way these pine branches bend down to touch the earth when snow covers them.
Today I noticed the texture of the snow: the bumps and ridges, the shadows, and even the sparkles (which don't show up as well in this picture). It reminded me of a desert of pure white sand.
Our holly bushes have been loaded with berries this year. I took a picture of holly in the shade...
...and later, holly in the sunshine.
Outdoor toys always look a little forlorn to me during the winter months, as they wait for their young friends to come and enjoy them again during warmer weather.
This snow was glorious in the way it stuck to everything: every single branch...
...every seed pod...
...even an old forgotten tennis ball Jeff had hung in our English walnut tree for Josiah to practice hitting.
The woods across the Beery's pasture from us looked lacy to me this morning.
This picture reminded me of a hand outstretched to point, almost accusingly, into the clear blue sky. (It also showed me, after I came inside and was viewing the photos, how dirty the lens apparently was.)
Both the fencepost...
...and this birdhouse have a lovely cap of snow.
A lone pine was reaching into the nearly cloudless sky. Such beauty all around me!
But best of all, as I wandered around outside trying to capture the glory of this extraordinary day, I found this: Josiah, my own precious snow angel!

7 comments:

Sally said...

I think we can see how much you like snow! Great pictures!

Unknown said...

wow wow wow wow wow! (and here we're sweltering!)

Bonnie said...

Considering we've been buried under the stuff for a good month, I still enjoyed your pictures- I am very ready for spring though!

Emily Joy said...

Oh yes, your camera DEFINITELY takes better pictures than mine! I love your photography!

~Emily

Anonymous said...

Good photos, especially the one of the berries. Mark

Anonymous said...

Lovely photos, Davene.

Anonymous said...

These are lovely photos. The snowy ground reminded me of White Sands, NM. We're having weather so warm the kids are in short sleeves. But I don't mind it so very much!
- Margie (see note on above post about why I'm posting as Anonymous)