Sunday, February 1, 2009

Simple Sunday - Mother & Child Figurine

~ thankful for this figurine--to me, a very special representation of the deep love I have for my children as well as the embodiment of my desire to always care for them as tenderly as this mother holds her treasured one...here is the story of how I acquired this: we were living in Israel with our young son Josiah and I was pregnant with David (I think--either that, or I was eagerly anticipating when I would get pregnant with our second child!)...since we didn't have a car, we walked many places; and in my walks down the main north-south route through our area of Tel Aviv, I always passed a corner shop that had all kinds of collectibles...not being much of a collector myself (since to me, figurines often seem like expensive dust-catchers; besides, when we lived in Israel, we weren't accumulating many lasting possessions for ourselves anyway), I didn't pay much attention to the items in the shop...until the day I spotted this one...it immediately grabbed my heart and caused me to suffer from a lovely ache, and I eagerly examined the window of the shop every time I passed to see if this little mother was still there...however, I knew this figurine was expensive, I didn't need it, it would collect dust, we weren't buying much stuff for ourselves in Tel Aviv, etc...still, I wanted it :)...one otherwise ordinary day, Jeff bought it for me and brought it home, COMPLETELY surprising me with it...the memory of that day and the words he wrote in an accompanying card still bring a happy-tears smile to my face...I was nervous about how in the world we would transport it safely back to the States, but everything went fine and this sweet mother and child arrived in one piece...I always knew that when we moved back here, I would set her on top of my dresser, right in the middle...there she stands, a simple, elegant, beautiful reminder of the matchless love of a mother...believe it or not, she's truly an inspiration to me; and sometimes as I walk past, I glance at the tenderness she displays, then quickly adjust my own attitude to reflect the same





3 comments:

Sally said...

You are so right about a mother's love. I never knew such a deep, tenacious, love existed, until I had Paul and fell in love with him. It is a love unlike any other. A love that will love deeper and deeper no matter what. No matter how my children turn out, I will always, always love them and want the very best for them. Praise the Lord for giving us mother's that love! (I know it comes from Him, I could never have it on my own.)

Margie said...

I really love this picture, especially the way you caught the reflection of her back in the mirror. I'm sorry I don't have a Simple Sunday this week; I thought I would use a winter sky photo I took last week, but wound up putting it on the sidebar instead. Thing is, the bare-branched tree is almost invisible there. Anyway - sorry I've been away so long; I have some catch-up reading to do!

Margie said...

Forgot to mention that I love your new header.