Thursday, July 23, 2009

What He's Good At

Three days old, and already Shav is showing us that he's really good at quite a few things!

~ Eating: from the beginning, he had a strong suck (ouch!); and he latches on and chows down like a champ.

~ Pooping: what goes in must come out, and it does. Often. Especially when I'm changing his diaper. This frequent elimination is good though because it shows us that a) he's getting enough to eat, and b) his intestinal system works just fine. I was reading a bit about these first days; and the pamphlet mentioned that by day five, the stools should have transitioned to the yellow ones common to breastfed babies. He did that on day two.

~ Sleeping during the day: sometimes so much that he can't even bring himself to wake up enough to get a full feeding.

~ Sleeping on his daddy's chest: he got some practice with this one last night.

~ Crying non-stop at the doctor's office today: wouldn't you, if someone took all your clothes off, laid you on a table, and poked you?

~ Melting my heart: he's a pro at this one. It makes me cry, just thinking about how precious he is.

~ Delighting his proud grandparents: evidence below.


What he's not so good at: sleeping at night. Last night was filled with frequent wakings; he would go to sleep easily after a feeding, but after what seemed like a very short hour or so, wake again. The longer stretches of sleep that I thought must surely come soon never did--at least, not until daylight hours. I know it's common for babies to have their days and nights mixed up, but I can't remember how long it usually takes to get them switched around; and even one night feels like a lifetime when you're already sleep-deprived, hormonal, and awake!

As I approach another night of what will surely be little sleep, I'm encouraged by these words:
When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you.
When you're in rough waters, you will not go down.
When you're between a rock and a hard place,
It won't be a dead end--
Because I am God, your personal God,
The Holy of Israel, your Savior.
~ Isaiah 43:2-3a

4 comments:

Margie said...

Oh, I love reading about him, and remembering my own days with new babies. I hope you're doing well, but I know you have lots of support. These crazy, blissful, sleepless days go so fast! Thanks for sharing them.

Valerie said...

Yay pictures! :) Glad that Shav is doing so well. Hopefully he'll get his days and nights in order for you soon. I don't remember how long it took for my kiddos to get that right. I would like to live in a delusional state right now and believe that newborns sleep at night. My baby is due to arrive soon enough that I don't want to think about that stuff. (Is that wrong?) :)

Misty said...

Davene, I think it took my mixed up babies about two weeks to straighten out to where they were sleeping more during the night than during the day. Give him big doses of sunlight first thing in the morning. They say that helps set the internal clock.
And tell him I understand about crying at the doctor. I wanted to cry when they did all that to me too ;)

Misty said...

Oh and I forgot to add that Anastasia loves to poop while I'm changing her as well..the other kids think it is the FUNNIEST thing!