Monday, April 5, 2010

My Favorite C.S. Lewis Quote...

...for now, anyway. He wrote so many profound things that I could never choose just one to be my favorite. :)

For Christmas, we gave The Chronicles of Narnia CDs done by Focus on the Family Radio Theatre to Josiah and David. I thought they would like them, but I didn't anticipate how much I would love them, too. For the past three months, almost every time we go somewhere in the car with the boys, they ask to listen to the Narnia CDs. Listening to those stories makes small trips around town more fun, but it's really invaluable when we're traveling longer distances - like during our trips to DC last Wednesday to pick up our friend Jenya and yesterday to return him - and need to keep small boys cheerfully entertained. Those CDs are one of my top two favorite Christmas gifts I gave this past year (the other one is written about here). :)

Recently we finished listening to Prince Caspian and heard again this great quote. Caspian, who is now king, is listening to Aslan describe the not-always-noble history of the Telmarines, of whom Caspian is one. He laments, "I was wishing that I came of a more honourable lineage." Aslan replies:
You come of the Lord Adam and the Lady Eve, and that is both honour enough to erect the head of the poorest beggar, and shame enough to bow the shoulders of the greatest emperor in earth. Be content.

2 comments:

Margie said...

When I saw the title of this post, I popped over, wondering if it was one of the several I love. But this one is new, and I am going to treasure it, and teach it to the girls.

Thanks for sharing it.

Polly said...

GREAT quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!