Tuesday, June 22, 2010

TTT - Texicans and Arber Bops



Josiah recently read a book about the Alamo; and as he was telling me about it, he kept referring to the "Texicans." Hmm...now which side exactly did the Texicans fight on? And who was their leader? Regardless, I'd say Texicans is potentially a very useful term. In the same spirit, I think I'll start telling Josiah, who was born in California but now lives in Virginia, that he's a Caliginian. Or maybe a Virfornian. :)

********

Tobin's language skills are blossoming, reminding me daily how much I appreciate this stage of childhood, when suddenly the child can communicate and, for the most part, make himself understood. It eliminates so much frustration!

I know this isn't highly significant to anyone else, but I want to remember how he says certain things. Here are some of his common mispronunciations:

moomie = movie
beb = bed
bap = lap
it bap = sit on your lap
my urn = my turn (and when he says this, sometimes he pats himself on the chest to add emphasis to his statement)
ah-er = water
beep = Jeep
gook, Mommy = look, Mommy
ake urt me? = snake hurt me? (prompted by our snake encounter a few days ago)
Daddy home = Daddy home (of course!)...this is what he says whenever he's sad or gets in trouble...at this stage of life, Tobin's world revolves around his daddy; and if anything goes wrong, Tobin longs for his daddy to come to the rescue!

And my personal favorite:
arber bop = barber shop

With each of the boys, there is a word or two they said that becomes an ingrained part of our family consciousness. For example, Josiah said "ickabee" for ambulance, David said "gwink" for drink, and now Tobin says "arber bop." I've been having fun teasing Tobin about how he says it, and so far he doesn't mind a bit but gives his big charming grin when I talk about the "arber bop." If it starts to bother him, I'll certainly stop...but in my head, I think I'll still hear "arber bop." :)

********

A few days ago, David was looking in a church directory that has our family picture in it (although it's outdated, since it only includes three sons!). He told me quite calmly and cheerfully, "Whenever Daddy dies, or whenever you die, I can just look at this picture, and--there you are!" Ah, yes, if only grief was that simple.

Often when we read books from the library, I'll open the book, stick my nose in it, sniff deeply, and say, "Smells like a book!" That wonderful smell is a treasured part of my childhood. Whenever I do that, whichever boys are close by have to also smell the book; and they usually have the same remark. David, however, went through a stage when he was younger in which he would smell the book, then enthusiastically exclaim, "Smells like an apple!" What?? Anyway, today I was holding Shav on the couch and David was right beside us, snuggled close as is his habit. Out of the blue, he leaned over, sniffed Shav's head, and announced, "Smells like a Shav!!" Well, that's a good thing. But what exactly does a Shav smell like anyhow? :)


********

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I love reading updates about your boys! They are all so FUN!!!

Davene said...

Another Tobin phrase I want to remember:

mum too = some too

He loves to have/do/eat/drink whatever we are having/doing/eating/drinking, so we often hear his "mum too?" phrase. :)

Margie said...

Texican was the original term for Texan, I believe. So, it was probably written that way in the book about the Alamo because (if I remember correctly, although I could be wrong), that's what the Alamo defenders called themselves. But now I'll have to look it up.

Davene said...

Margie,

I had NO IDEA that "Texicans" is a real word. I'm sure glad I've got a real live Texan who reads this and can correct me. Thanks for letting me know!!! :)