Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Feels Like Home

One of my first impressions as we were driving down the freeway to San Diego yesterday was, "Wow, this really feels like home.  I can't believe how much this feels like home!!!"  It was such a strong impression--and was such a surprise to me.  I realize that we did spend 5 and 1/2 years here; and they were formative years as far as our marriage, first child, deep friendships go.  But I also know that we were really happy to leave San Diego (because we were moving to Israel); and after Israel, we were thrilled to be returning to Virginia.  Virginia really is my deep family home, so why these feelings for San Diego and California? 
 
Everything was just so familiar--the freeway, the palm trees, the signs, the ocean, the grocery stores and fast food restaurants that we don't have in Virginia, the pleasant February weather, the buildings and landmarks, the geography, the gorgeous houses on the tops of cliffs, etc.  It felt so natural and completely normal to be here.
 
I have often thought in recent years that my heart is divided into three places: California, Israel, and Virginia.  No matter where we are, our hearts always feel torn, missing the people in the places where we are not.  So I've known that a piece of me is in those three places.  But I didn't realize how deep the feeling of home was in those places as well.  As Jeff said yesterday, "It's like we have three homes," and you know--I think he's exactly right.

No comments: