Saturday, February 10, 2007

What a Difference a Year Makes

Last Sunday when we were watching the Super Bowl at a friend's house, Jeff remarked to me about how last year when we were watching the game, David would cry from fright every time the people watching clapped and cheered for a good play. I had forgotten about that, although I was aware of the fact that I had not really enjoyed last year's Super Bowl party...but I didn't remember why until Jeff's reminder. Ah, how it comes back to me! I remember walking with David in my arms, trying to soothe him...I remember that I couldn't even sit down and enjoy a good bowl of chili because of holding David...I remember wishing that everybody would stop cheering and just watch the game silently...I remember wanting to just go home! But this year--what a difference! Most of the time, David was as jolly as he could be...walking/running around the living room...climbing on the people who were lying on the floor...wandering into the kitchen from time to time for another chip...being tickled and entertained by a number of people, especially his new pal Leanna. I actually got to sit down between Doris and Matt and eat a bowl of Trey's delicious (ahem--last-place finish) chili! It was eye-opening to realize how much David has changed in a year.

And that got me thinking about Josiah... A year ago, we were in the very final stages of potty training with him--only, at the time, I didn't realize they were the very final stages, and I envisioned his potty training stretching on into infinity. His big hold-up was a real reluctance to poop on the potty, and what a celebration we had when that hurdle was overcome! Anyone who was here that night for our home fellowship/potluck probably still remembers Josiah coming out of the bathroom, running into the living room, and exclaiming loudly, "I went kaka on the potty! Now I get a train!!!" We were all rejoicing that night! And now here we are a year later with those moments simply a distant memory for us, and our present reality in the day-to-day of life is full of new challenges and new joys. Isn't growth great?

No comments: