Friday, February 16, 2007

Josiah and Sebastian

Josiah has a cousin named Sebastian who is 4 months younger than him--essentially, the same age.  It has been interesting to see them grow up together; every time we visit, they have both grown and developed so much and are at a new stage since they were last together.
 
The funny thing to me is how they can be the best of friends one minute--yet fight like cats and dogs the next.  Such an antagonistic relationship they have!  They know how to push each other's buttons and argue over every little thing, but they miss each other when they're apart.  Yesterday afternoon, Jeff, the boys, and I went to a farmer's market in Chula Vista; and while we were gone, Sebastian and his mommy went to the park.  In the car, Josiah said, "I miss Sebastian."  And when we got back to the house, we heard that Sebastian had been crying on his way home from the park because he was missing Josiah.  And yet, they weren't together more than a few minutes before a dispute broke out.
 
I don't think I ever had a relationship like this so I don't really understand it.  It's puzzling to me to watch them together--and most especially, to know how to deal with it.  Be a constant referee?  Let them fight it out?  Or something else?

No comments: