Friday, August 1, 2008

Making Lunch Fun

Back in November, I wrote about being creative, in a kid-friendly way, with food presentation for the boys' lunches. I still make various pictures and designs on their plates from time to time, although a happy face is the one I use most often (also the most requested by the boys). :)

However, recently, I've been noticing on Morning's blog that she's starting to have Muffin Tin Mondays where she serves lunch to her little boy in a muffin tin--of course! "What a great idea!" I thought, but did nothing like it until inspiration struck today at a neighborhood yard sale, of all places, when I found two muffin tins for a quarter each. Aha, perfect for making lunch more fun for Josiah and David! And so, this was our first lunch in a muffin tin...
~ for Josiah: lettuce, blackberries, colby jack cheese, pepperoni, goldfish crackers, cherry tomatoes, and a whole nectarine in the center
~ David's was almost the same, except I sliced his nectarine and didn't give him any lettuce

I'm sure we'll do this again sometime! Anything this easy and fun deserves to be repeated. :)

11 comments:

New Mom said...

What a great idea and a yummy lunch! I bet your boys loved it!

Debbie in CA : ) said...

How clever! I'm so glad you came by and visited me so that I could come to see you. Your site has lots of exploration opportunities, so I know I will be back. For now it is time to tumble the kids into bed and sit down for a breather with Dad. I love the name of your blog. Is it your actual street name or just a fanciful twist on your life? : )

Polly said...

great idea!!

I am stealing this one once my little one is no longer eating so many purees.....with such a colorful presentation, who could refuse those healthy lovely items??

Unknown said...

Hi Davene,
Muffin tin Mondays are great fun -- but I didn't start them. Katy at Sycamore Stirrings is the genius, and her site even boasts a flickr page to show off everyone's muffin tin ideas. Take a look at http://sycamorestirrings.blogspot.com/

Margie said...

GREAT idea. Now I've got to track down some muffin tins. (I like the idea of the face, too!)

Sally said...

I think this is so neat! My little Paul is such a hungry bear by lunch time, just getting the food cut and on the plate is about all I get done before he wolfs it down. I will have to watch for some muffin tins (mine are all the metal square ones) like these once I get to some thrift stores. Thanks for sharing the fun food idea!

Michelle said...

Davene,

WOW, what a great idea, I can't wait to surprise my sons with this on Monday. Those muffin tins for a quarter was a fantastic buy. Take care and have a great weekend!

Michelle

Elizabeth said...

What a great idea! What a perfect muffin pan! I love garage sales! :)

Anonymous said...

How fun are you!! You are always sharing such great tips. I'll have to try it sometime.

Davene said...

Debbie in CA: Yes, it is the actual name of our street. Isn't it a great name? There's a story behind it, but I'm too tired to write it out now. Later... :)

Morning: Thanks for the heads-up about Katy's site. I'll be sure to check it out!

jeanette said...

wow! what a great idea!!!