Friday, December 12, 2008

I Am Well...

...unfortunately, my boys are not. David's intestinal virus of Tuesday did indeed spread throughout the household, with David himself having a recurrence of vomiting in the early morning hours yesterday, then Josiah getting it around suppertime, then Tobin--the sweet, tiny thing--being afflicted by it around 11:00 PM last night. It was Tobin's first time with a throw-up sickness...but not his last, I'm sure. Another first: within 24 hours, I got to clean up vomit from all three of my boys!

Despite this, I feel calm and peaceful, if a little tired! We've cancelled or are cancelling almost everything in life right now, so the only thing I have to focus on is taking care of the boys. There is also the small matter of taking care of myself, so for that area, I simply called my wonderful mother this morning and asked her if she could come up and read/play games with Josiah and David so that I can grab some sleep--something I haven't seen much of during the past two nights--while Tobin is still sleeping this morning. She's here already, and I'm on my way to snooze...

Meanwhile, someone very special in our family had a birthday!!! Jeff turned 38 yesterday, and didn't seem to mind that I didn't have time to make a cake for him, he made his own birthday dinner (taquitos--always his job), and repeatedly during the meal, Josiah was throwing up, David was saying, "my tummy hurts!" and Tobin was crying (we thought it was teething...guess we were wrong). After supper, he took all three boys upstairs for a bath; and when I went up to get Tobin out so I could nurse him and put him in bed, Josiah and David were sitting in the bath, wide-eyed and tummy woes forgotten, as Jeff regaled them with stories about the Hobbit. What a birthday! What a man!!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Isn't it funny how we get confirmation that it's ok to clear things from the calendar? Sometimes we have no choice! I love you, dear friend, and I'm thinking of you as you care for your boys and yourself and Jeff, too!

Julie said...

Oh Davene! I'm so sorry! I hope everyone is soon feeling better. Tell Josiah we missed him at co-op this morning. Praying for strength for you and Jeff...

Sally said...

Ohhh, I really hope this is over quickly! It is no fun to be sick, ever, at any time. I really feel for David, getting it twice. I'm glad you cleared your calender. And I'm glad you have a patient, understanding, and helpful husband (whatever do folks do without them?).

I'll be praying for all of you.