Monday, April 13, 2009

Finished!

I am so proud of Josiah!

On Saturday, he finished up the last of his official first grade work, which means two things: 1) summer vacation has already begun in our household, and 2) we have a second grader in our family!  This book, Detectives in Togas, was the last thing we needed to finish reading and cross off the list before we could close the huge curriculum binder and call it a year...
Later that afternoon, Josiah curled up on the couch and started reading Five True Dog Stories, just for fun.  (And speaking of fun, I let the boys have a pajama day on Saturday since it was an extra-special day and we didn't have to go anywhere!)  Josiah has taken off with his reading this past year.  He technically learned to read during kindergarten, but during his first grade year, he soared with it; and the thing I'm most pleased about is that now he reads of his own initiative, simply for the pleasure of it.  That's what I would have done all day long as a girl, if my parents would have let me.  ;)

Not to be outdone, David announced on Saturday that he was doing math like a big boy.  He got out this game and matched the numbers with the pictures, announcing that 2 + 2 = 4 and figuring out that 2 + 8 = 10, etc.  
At supper on Saturday, when Josiah got the Celebrate plate and was congratulated on his successful school year, David announced that he didn't feel very special.  Of course, we reassured him about how special he truly is; but it seems he needed to prove himself because today he hurried up and finished his dot-to-dot book and then asked if he could have the Celebrate plate tonight for his big accomplishment.  Of course you can, David dear!  :)

Now that we're not doing regular schoolwork (although we are continuing to do a little bit to get a head start on next year and keep the learning fresh), I have time to turn my attention to other things.  My big goal is to get back on track with FlyLady.  Last summer, I made some significant strides, but lost most of it during the busy school year.  Today I'm jumping back to the beginning with Day One of FlyLady's BabySteps.  And so, I'm off to shine my sink...  :)

7 comments:

Kristen said...

That is so awesome that your boys have a hunger to learn. I hope the Fly Lady stuff goes well. :)

Sally said...

Wow! What else can I say! I am so proud of you all. I can get really worried when I think about homeschooling and how will I ever pull it all off. You make is seem like it happens automatically. I hope I can do it half as well as you when my turn comes.

Congratulations, and I know you'll do wonders at something--either Flylady, or enjoying your three children before a lot of attention is taken by the fourth.

Valerie said...

Yay! A 2nd grader in the house?! Wow. That makes him sound so old. :)

Joseph is just about finished with Kindergarten. He has a few days worth of work in his phonics workbook and then he'll be done. To think that I'll have a 1st grader is just crazy. Time is going by way too quickly.

I love that you have a special plate to celebrate. Great idea.

Sarah said...

I know you are proud of your boys! I think that is great that you have instilled a love of reading in them. I can only hope that Anna Claire will love to read as much as her parents do. We started early and began reading to her when I was only 15 weeks pregnant!

jeanette said...

congratulations on finishing up 1st grade! :) and it's so neat to hear of kids actually loving to learn. :)

I tried to do FlyLady once-it was too overwhelming for me!

Misty said...

Way to go Josiah!! I can't believe that he is a second grader and that I'll have a kindergartner!

Charree said...

Good job Josiah! How wonderful to be finished with the "school work" for the year.

I love FlyLady. It makes housework so much more enjoyable. Hope getting back on track goes well for you. I am off to go zone the office and laundry room.

Have a blessed day!
~Charree