Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Good, Better, Best

Many years ago, when I was a girl, my mother taught me this saying:

Good, better, best,
Never let it rest, 
Til your good is better, 
And your better, best.

She had no idea I would someday apply that saying to a house--her house--the house she and my dad designed and had built.  Sorry, Mother, sometimes things backfire!  :)  Here's another saying she taught me, "To each his own"; that seems to apply in this situation!

Here is the good...
...white walls and wood trim.  My mother, she likes her some white walls!  Me, on the other hand?  Color--lots of it!  I must get it from my mother's parents who had colored walls--purple in their bedroom, a blue bedroom where I sometimes slept, another bedroom that was yellow.  I guess it's in my blood somewhere; but at any rate, I have longed for colored walls ever since I knew we would finally own a home and not have to deal with rented white walls.  However, the white walls and wood trim were undoubtedly good, and we continue to feel blessed beyond measure 
to even be able to live in this home and call it ours, no matter what color the walls.  :)

Here comes the better...
...blue walls but still with wood trim.  Our friend Kevin, the painter, made good progress last week with basically finishing the blue walls; but a bout of sickness over the weekend slowed things down considerably, especially the painting of the doors and trim.

However, here comes the BEST...
...blue walls and white trim.  Isn't it gorgeous???  I keep saying when I look at it, "I'm so excited," and Kevin laughs.  He's used to seeing walls transformed in his line of work; but to me, this is just amazing.  I love it so much!!!

14 comments:

Emily Joy said...

Wow! That's amazing! Do you remember when I posted about that quote towards the beginning of my blog? It's a good one :)

Valerie said...

I really like the blue walls with white trim. I wanted to do that in my bathroom. I envisioned it in tiles. :) (won't work in this house... bathroom was retiled before we moved in... earth tones) Great room. What room is next on the list?

Davene said...

After our bedroom is finished, the nursery will be done next. We will move the crib and Tobin into the guest room for a while (until he's big enough to join Josiah and David in their room), then have the nursery painted, and then set up the cradle in there for The New Baby. We still have 3 months until my due date so that's plenty of time, I think. :)

Davene said...

Emily, I do remember you posting about that! I actually thought of that as I wrote it. :)

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

I, too, love white trim and some kind of color on the walls. Living out here in Colorado, most everything is the natural wood trim, and I am always worried about painting over it, but I end up painting things white because I just like how crisp it looks with a painted wall. Great job!
Carrie

Kristen said...

Yeah for newly painted walls. :) Isn't it amazing what a few cans of paint can do for both walls and your spirit?

...oh, and Kaylee loves eggs, just not hard boiled. Fortunately she will eat them scrambled. And that's a good thing because she won't eat bread... :) Maybe we could come show her your chickens sometime...

Margie said...

Oh, it's lovely, Davene. Wow - a great change. My grandparents' house had lots of blue, which is something I'd forgotten until I saw your picture. It's really a nice color, and I'm so glad you're over the moon about it!

Nell-Marie & Gil said...

Hi Davene! I hardly ever take time to leave comments on others' blogs (oh, it's so awful!) But I always enjoy keeping up with your family through your blog. I pray when you need prayer and I laugh when you laugh. We love you and your family and pray for His very best in every detail of your lives. =)

Sally said...

That is truly beautiful! I think you have good tastes. I don't think I have an interior decorator bone in my body!

Kristy said...

Davene, its gorgeous!!!!! What color paint is that called???

Love it!

Misty said...

I'm with you Davene! White walls are just begging me to give them some color! That is gorgeous!

Charree said...

It looks great. I really like the contrast of the white trim against the blue. It looks wonderful.

Have a blessed day!
~Charree

Davene said...

Kristen, you can certainly come over and we'll show Kaylee the chickens! :)

Kristy, the color is called Postal Blue, and it's number 24-15, Pratt & Lambert Paints. Because I haven't launched out and done much with color before, I wasn't sure if I would be disappointed or not. I thought, "Oh, dear, Jeff is not going to be happy if we get this paint on the walls and then I decide I'd prefer another color. I hope I'm truly happy with it and don't have to pretend, just for his sake." :) And sure enough, I REALLY am happy!!!

Dori said...

Just happened to be on your blog tonight - and I agree - looks wonderful! I too am a colored wall fanatic...just ask my husband.