Sunday, January 10, 2010

Ancient Paths

As the new year approached, I contemplated returning to my habit of Simple Sunday posts. However, I eventually decided to launch into something new; and this is what it is...
Without a doubt, the most precious thing in the world to me is my relationship with God; and His words recorded in the Bible are one of the primary ways that our relationship is nurtured, so every week I want to celebrate and remember that in a very conscious way. One of these days, I'll get around to writing about my goals for the New Year; but this new blog pattern for Sundays fits into my first goal: continuing to deepen my walk with God. What could be more important?

Every Sunday, if all goes as planned, I'll post a picture that I've taken with a Biblical text that I've added to it. I've discovered that this visual combination has been so helpful for me to remember verses better and be more successful at meditating on them day and night (Psalm 1:2).

But why call it Truth-Light-Hammer-Fire? Because God Himself uses those terms to describe His words.

Truth - John 17:17
Light - Psalm 119:105
Hammer - Jeremiah 23:29

My Lord, may the truth of Your words always guide me; may the light they shed illuminate my path; may Your words be a hammer in my life to not only build my character, but also to smash that which is false and unworthy; and may the fire of Your words purify my soul and spill out to ignite the flames of others!

With all of that said, this is a verse that has been on my mind during this past week, especially as Jeff and I continue in our time of soul-searching and decision-making in regards to which congregation God is leading us to be a part of.
~ I took this picture at the Furness Abbey (one of my favorite places on earth) in England - Summer 2005

3 comments:

bekahcubed said...

What a wonderful reminder! I've set that photo as my desktop background. I could sure use some direction--and rest for my soul.

Leah said...

I'd love to participate in this once I install the Photoshop I got for Christmas. Otherwise, I don't know how to write text onto photos without such software.
Thank you also for the birthday email!

Margie said...

I'm looking forward to reading more...