Monday, July 12, 2010

The Ball I Keep Dropping

Every so often, I visit Valerie's blog, not because there's a new post (there rarely is ;-), but because of her wonderful explanation at the bottom of her sidebar about Glass Balls. I need the reminder periodically to pay less attention to the rubber balls in my life and more attention to the glass ones.

I have felt productive this summer. As always, there are many, many more projects to do than I have time for, and each minute of the day could be spent in numerous ways. I constantly feel the pressure of not having enough time and having to make sometimes difficult choices about how to spend my limited time. But as I look back over the past month or two, I do feel a sense of accomplishment about certain things that I've been able to do; and I like that!

However, I think that what I haven't been doing a good job of keeping up with is friendships. With some friends, I've been doing fine; but I have a sense that there are some that have been neglected--and feel it. Often when I apologize to people for not keeping in touch better, they reply with a quick, "Don't worry about it! I know you're busy, and I am, too. I should have kept in touch better, too; but really, it's not a problem!" But regardless, I do wish I could more consistently connect with some people who are dear to my heart. I don't want my friends--especially ones that we had in different places and seasons of life--to feel hurt by my silence and take personally the lack of contact coming from my direction.

Maybe FaceBook is the answer. NO WAY!!! ;-) Not for me!

This week, in the midst of preparing for our vacation next week as well as dealing with normal tasks, I want to make an extra effort to reach out and connect with friends old and new, near and far. I want to make sure that the glass balls that have been entrusted to me don't get dropped and cracked and broken.

Before I sign off for the night, I'll just mention that today is the half-birthday of one of the precious glass balls in my life: Tobin Bear! :) And here is an old picture of him--from way back in March, I think--that I never posted.
He's always been good at plopping down in Josiah's lap and making himself comfortable. What are brothers for?! :)

4 comments:

bekahcubed said...

I can definitely identify with you--it's so easy to neglect friendships in the midst of the urgent every-days. I think friendship is an area most of us can afford to grow in :-)

Sally said...

Thanks for this post. I hopped over to read the "Glass Balls" article, and it was a good reminder for me. Not that I have energy to go any further right now, trying to catch the glass balls, but I want to be aware of it and try to appropriate my energy in the best way.

Hooray for you in having a productive summer. I know it really gives a mommy a boost to actually get something done "outside the hamster wheel". You do a great job of managing.

mary bailey said...

I'm glad to see I'm not the only person left who doesn't "do" Facebook!

You are very thoughtful to realize that you need concentrate a little more on your friendships. Your friends will greatly appreciate it.

Glad you are having a good summer! Please stop by my blog, as I am having a giveaway of Christian fiction.

Margie said...

I'm envious of how well you've managed your summer, when mine feels like such a failure on so many fronts. But speaking of friendship, as much as I want to catch up on your life I have to go - the girls really don't do well when I'm on the computer. So I need to give them the attention they need. Will be back! Have dedicated this week to catching up. It's been way, way too long.