Saturday, January 20, 2007

A Continual Feast

A verse that I read yesterday has been coming back to my mind over and over today. It is Proverbs 15:15, "For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast." Wow--a continual feast--who doesn't want that??? For the most part, I feel like my life is a continual feast--overflowing with blessings--safely tucked in a bubble of God's protection and favor. Of course, I have moments of being downcast and discouraged and despondent; but I'm striving more and more to keep a happy heart, find the joy in the ordinary moments of everyday life, and keep my eyes open to the continual feast that is mine. I'm reminded of how two people can look at the same situation and see two totally different things, depending completely on the attitude with which they approach it. May my attitude be a glass-half-full point of view, not because I wish to live in a fantasy world where everything is great, but because in spite of all the hard things of life, God is so fundamentally and overwhelmingly GOOD...and that outweighs all the rest.

Here were some parts of the "continual feast" of my life today...
~ birthday party for our friend Kirk, who is turning 4--for me personally, a great time being with my boys and seeing them interact with other children, reconnecting with someone I knew from years ago, and being with a family that I dearly love
~ visit with my friend Lauren--we looked at her pictures from her semester in Italy and shared from our hearts...then she felt comfortable enough to settle down on our couch for some study time...then she stayed for dinner--great to have her be a part of our family!
~ dinner with my family of 4, as well as my parents and Lauren--tons of fun remembering funny times from high school when my brother and I played basketball, stories from my wedding (especially our going-away ride in a buggy), and thrift-store adventures

Now it's time to prepare for tomorrow...worship service here in our home, followed by lunch together--a literal feast, part of the continual feast of my life!

3 comments:

Julie said...

What a great post! Thank you so much for this timely reminder. I, too, am working on having a "happy heart" during those frustrating moments that arise during the day. You have such a positive spirit. Thank you for sharing it with me in real life and with everyone else in blogland. And thanks for coming to the party today. Your boys did look quite hansome if I do say so myself! And such well-mannered gentlemen!

Julie said...

Yikes! That word should be hanDsome! THIS is one of many reasons why I do not have my own blog!

Nayeli's_Mommy said...

Wow, that is a great post! I'm so glad you decided to share your heart on here since it's not very often I get a chance to hear from you. You are an amazing and inspiring woman of God!