Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Don't Let the Goats Eat the Loquat Trees

First of all, I didn't make up that title; for that, we have Thomas Hale to thank! Thomas Hale is an American surgeon who, with his wife and two sons, has lived in Nepal for a number of years, serving as a missionary doctor in a small hospital in a very rural area. He wrote a book about his experiences which I finished reading a few days ago.

It was really interesting to read his story so soon after reading Kanchi Doctor (about a British woman doctor's experiences serving as a missionary doctor, also in Nepal). There were many similarities in the experiences of these two missionaries, and some differences as well. Both of them inspired me to greater levels of sacrifice for God, and both of them shamed me as I thought about my personal level of comfort and how often I indulge myself while so much of the world struggles to even have enough food to eat. In fact, one day while reading the Don't Let the Goats... book, I put on my slipper, only to find the insole crumpled and out of place. As I straightened it for what seemed like the hundredth time, I automatically thought, "I just need to get a new pair of slippers. I'll go downstairs and put that on my shopping list now." Then I stopped to consider--do I really need a new pair of slippers, just because I have to put the insole back in place? And I concluded that I don't need them.

I'm sure that if I asked myself this question--"Do I really need whatever I'm about to buy?"--I could talk myself out of almost any purchase! And so I find it difficult to reach a balance in this area. In reality, I could get rid of so much stuff that I have and be fine. But at the same time, I am trying to create a home that is warm, welcoming, beautiful, with food that is abundant and nourishing. How do I know when I've given enough?

Interestingly, the author of the book struggles with exactly the same question. In his situation, if he had a full plate of rice to eat, there would be someone on his doorstep with nothing to eat--what should he do then?

Anybody out there have any thoughts about this???

1 comment:

Julie said...

I'll share some brain-fogged, jet-lagged thoughts! I think of this often. How do we enjoy the blessings that God gives us and trust God for our "needs" (food, clothing, shelter), while not tempting God by selfishly indulging ourselves and then "trusting God to provide" (when we have been foolish or indulgent with what He has given us)?

There is always fat to trim, and I think the more we are aware of all that we have, the more overwhelming it becomes to know where to start cutting back and being thankful.

For me it has been to look first around my house at what I have already before running out for something new. An example is when I needed an 8x10 picture frame to add Kanah's picture to the line-up on the wall. The easy thing to do would be to run out and buy one. I started by keeping my eyes open at Gift and Thrift for a used one. Then one day I opened a box in the closet, and there were pictures that I had packed away when we moved, and there was a frame that I could use PLUS more pictures for my walls that I had forgotten about. It was fun to go around placing my "new" pictures on the walls without spending a dime.

With food it's eating what God has provided for us "this day" - our daily bread. Again, it's using what we have in the pantry or freezer or refrigerator and being thankful. Some days our meals are more elaborate than others, but always our needs are met. We are never lacking. It's welcoming others to join us where we are...if it's a meal of rice, than come on in!

As wives and mothers it is our job to keep our homes. God says so! So it's okay to want to make home warm and comforting and meals nourishing. There are many creative ways that we can do so without going to great waste or expense. There are many ways to make home without making home an idol.

I think you are on the right track! Your door is always open to others and hospitality abounds. You have a warm home that invites others to "come in and play and don't worry if you break a toy." I think you'll know that you've given enough when you hear, "Well done, thou good and faithful servant! You've entertained angels unawares."