Monday, January 22, 2007

Project of the Day


I love Mondays! After the change of pace of Sundays (which I also love), there is something exciting about Mondays--a fresh start, usually a "regular" day at home, laundry day (I love doing laundry...cleaning is another thing altogether--definitely NOT a favorite of mine...but laundry, ah, laundry, how fun!), the chance to dive into a new project and think about all the wonderful things I'm going to accomplish this week. By Thursday and Friday, I'm usually well aware of all the things I DIDN'T accomplish that I thought I would...but Mondays are full of hopes and plans and enthusiasm. I realize most people don't share this view...in fact, I've never heard anyone say "TGIM--Thank God It's Monday!" But for me, the Sunday/Monday combo is definitely my favorite time of the week. (I also realize I've used the word "love" way too many times in this paragraph. Oh well, this is the English language, and we all abuse the word "love"!)

So today, besides laundry, the fun project of the day was...drumroll, please...organizing my linen closet!!! My mom and I worked on it together, because most of the stuff in it was left in there by her! We had so much fun--we found some interesting things we hadn't seen in a while (like my grandmother's wedding dress that she made herself, a stole--today we would call it a "shrug"--that some great-aunt knitted, a wool blanket which belonged to my great-grandfather's brother and was made by hand on a loom, etc.), but also the simple pleasure of bringing order to things brings us great joy. My mother and I love (there's that word again!) organizing. In fact, it's literally one of our favorite things to do...well, that and read a book...but organizing something feels productive, whereas reading a book sometimes feels a bit too indulgent for us...especially for my mom's good German work ethic. :) I'm better than her at feeling free to sit down and relax; I guess it's the California influence on me. :)

In any case, here's a picture of the finished project today. I really should have taken a picture of the linen closet before we started so the full before/after effect could be shown. Unfortunately, I didn't think of that until it was too late!


2 comments:

Julie said...

Davene, you just make me smile. Your finished linen closet looks beautiful, and I can picture you and your mom discovering treasures. My day was spent preparing for my trip, with an added bonus of a snow day, so I had extra kids around. I LOVE having my kids around, and they were so helpful. We got lots of extra cleaning done, so I feel like I'm leaving with a sense of order here. I HATE leaving my family, but I LOVE visiting my sister. I already miss Steve. Have a great week!!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job making the comment capabilities "Ryan friendly" I loved your Study in Contrast pictures. Thanks for sharing your Life on Sylvan Drive with me.