Thursday, January 25, 2007

Recovery

I had an appointment with my midwife today who confirmed that my recovery from my miscarriage is complete! Yippee...what welcome news!!! Besides the physical recovery, the emotional aspect is also vitally important when dealing with a miscarriage; but God provided further evidence yesterday that my emotions are stable and hopeful as I look forward to the future. When we were at the museum yesterday, I ran into an acquaintance of mine who had heard through the grapevine that I was pregnant but had NOT heard about the miscarriage. When she saw me, she said, "Congratulations!!!" And then at the confused look on my face, she quickly realized something was amiss and apologized, as I explained about our loss. The comforting part of it for me was sensing within my spirit that there was no pain connected with the incident. In fact, I felt worse for her than I felt for myself, because I know she felt badly about it! It all reminds me of Psalm 146:5, "Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God."

I was also reminded today of why I enjoy midwives--because they love to talk! My appointment stretched on and on and on as we talked about the robbery that happened to us last month, the pros and cons of homebirth, our reasons for living in Israel, typical births in the Netherlands (where the midwife has lived), the circumstances surrounding Josiah's and David's births, a mutual friend that we have who teaches at a local university, etc. My midwife definitely strives to treat the whole person, not just the body; and I am so grateful for that! It's nice to have a friendly chat while going through the most undignified examinations a woman can endure. :)

1 comment:

Liberty Woods said...

I'm so proud of you. Love you! Lib