Thursday, January 18, 2007

Life on the Mississippi

I finished reading a book today: Life on the Mississippi by Mark Twain. I always enjoy reading his books. This particular one made me want to go hop on a steamboat and travel the Mississippi River! I haven't done much traveling in that part of the country, so the cities he described are completely new to me. Maybe I'll get there one of these days!

This book was the second that I've finished so far this year, the first being a historical fiction book called Calm before the Storm by Janice Dick that described the plight of Russian Mennonites before and during World War I. That book was also very interesting but had an opposite effect on me than the Twain book did: I realized that I NEVER want to experience what the Anabaptists had to endure during those difficult days. Once again, I'm reminded of how free from persecution my entire life has been and how grateful I am for God putting me in this place and this time.

No comments: