Monday, January 22, 2007

A Joyful Wife

One of the books I'm currently reading is Created to Be His Help Meet by Debi Pearl. Although I do not agree with everything Debi writes, I do believe that she has an abundance of wisdom about how to be the kind of wife God designed me to be; and I am very inspired by reading her book. I've just finished chapters 2-4 about being a joyful wife with a merry heart and a thankful spirit. Wow, how convicting those chapters are!

It is especially convicting when I realize that, probably over a year ago, Jeff wrote about his desire for me to be that kind of wife...and I know I've failed horribly so many times. Jeff and I have a journal that has "leading questions" in it, that each spouse is supposed to write in, then share the answers with each other. The question that Jeff was responding to was, "In what single way would you most like to see me grow personally in the next twelve months?" Here is his response (and, by the way, I asked for his permission before I included this in my blog)...

Let it first be said that I am so happy to be married to you; and even if nothing changed for the rest of our marriage, I would not regret my choice in you. But if I had to choose a single way, it would be for us to have more "fun" together. Nothing kindles the flames of my heart more than to see you smile, to see your joy and overflowing happiness. When you seem down, I too feel down. Yet your joy and happiness always bubble over, infecting my own spirit. When you are down, I often take personal blame--considering what I might do better or change to help restore your joy. I still love your smile more than anyone else's; I still favor your approval more than any other's--I endeavor to kindle your joy even as it makes me more content. You are still and forever will be my "Happy."

Sigh... Why can't I be better for him? He is so wonderful, and I desire to be a radiant gift from heaven for him--truly a joyful wife. It sure is hard to be consistent with that!

Anyway, in honor of my incredible husband, here are some joyful pictures of us. These were from our 9th anniversary celebration last June.



4 comments:

ashleykaye said...

i just finished reading the same book!! i am going to start again! it is like i put it down and stopped trying to apply the great lessons to my life. i know for sure, when i was reading it i was a better wife!! i pray that your journey to becoming all you can be for your husband is a joy! sending you love from new orleans!! missing you with all my heart!!

Anonymous said...

Nice photos of you both! Looks like you must not be doing too bad of a job, Davene, Jeff's smiles don't look forced! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hello, Jeff and Davene, this is Mark Coy commenting. I wrote the previous comment, about the "forced smiles", but didn't know how to identify it as from me. So I'll so it this way!

Liberty Woods said...

Ok, now I'm convicted. I need to start reading this book. Your mom gave me a copy when we were out visiting in August. Thanks for the inspiration!