Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Time for Reading

Someone asked me recently, "How do you find time to read so much?"

There are several factors involved in this:
1. I LOVE to read. It is my absolute, all-time, favorite leisure activity.
2. We don't have a TV--so the all-American time-waster is not a factor for me.
3. I read quickly. I guess all the hundreds of books my mother read to me as a wee little girl paid off, because I learned to read easily and began to devour books as soon as I could. Now I can read so quickly that it doesn't take much time at all to read a book, especially when I'm reading for fun, as opposed to serious study.
4. As far as when I actually read, I often sit down with my lunch and a book after I get the boys in bed for their nap. (Reading and eating go together so naturally for me that sometimes I have to remind myself that it's actually OK to read without munching on something! For the sake of my waistline, sometimes I just make a hot drink and settle down in the rocking chair with a book and a drink.) Or after they're asleep at night, I steal some time to relax and read.

One category of books that I'm really enjoying this year is biographies. My parents left many of their books in this house when they moved down the hill, and they have a wonderful collection of biographies of which I am just beginning to skim the surface. In the past few years, I haven't read many biographies; but I'm finding myself enjoying real people's stories so much this year.

No comments: