Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Oh, Shenandoah!

For my friend Doris' birthday last June, I told her that I wanted to take her out for a day and go to a museum or visit something that would be interesting to her. So today was the day! (I know, I know...I'm a little late in my delivery...but better late than never!)

We (Doris, my mother, and I) headed north to the city of Winchester, Virginia, to visit the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley, a museum that just opened last year. None of us had been there before so it was a fun, new adventure; and after our visit today, we were completely impressed! It was spectacular! It made all of us so very grateful that we live in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley.

One of the aspects of the museum that we found most interesting was a series of recorded interviews with various older folks of the area. My mother and Doris actually knew some of the people featured in these film clips. The older residents talked about various aspects of life in the Shenandoah Valley from their childhood and since, and some were quite humorous. We three laughed and laughed, and hopefully didn't disturb any of the other visitors to the museum!

The above picture was taken in the tea room of the museum where we stopped for a cup of tea and a light lunch. What a treat! And what a wonderful day!

No comments: