Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Science Museum of Virginia




Wednesday is typically Jeff's day off, and we always look forward to Wednesdays and the chance to spend more time together as a family. This morning--out of the blue--Jeff said, "I wish we could go somewhere today," so we hatched the plan to drive to Richmond and visit the Science Museum of Virginia. I have been wanting to go there again and especially take Josiah; I have good memories of going there as a girl, and it's something that I wanted to share with my family. So off we drove to have an adventure!

On the way Jeff asked me what I remembered about my time at the museum as a child, and I told him about a certain room there that was very small but was lined with mirrors in such a way that it stretched to infinity (it seemed!). I remember going into that room with some of my friends and all of us in our girlhood way, wishing that our bedrooms at home were like that! It was great to find that room again today, and I loved being in it...except for the fact that, inside it, there was some boring-to-me presentation about atoms and molecules and crystals, etc. I suppose that's par for the course in a science museum, but I would rather have had some relaxing music or silence in which to enjoy the ambience. :)

Josiah's favorite part was a rocket display in which an empty soda bottle whooshed way up in the air when he pushed a button. David loved running in a carpeted area while we were waiting for a planetarium demonstration in the IMAX theater and running in a tilted room where the dimensions of everything were "off." I'm not sure about Jeff's favorite...I'll have to ask him. The best part for me was simply being together as a family--well, that and the mirror room!

Isn't that a great picture of Jeff's head? :)


No comments: