Monday, August 4, 2008

Another First

Tonight for the first time, Tobin got to swing in the baby swing on our swingset outdoors. Previously when we were outside, he would lay contentedly on a blanket on the ground, playing with a toy, sucking on his toes, looking around at everything, etc.--all the excitement a 6 month-old loves best. But after supper this evening, when I took the boys outside to play for a while, I decided to try Tobin in this swing and see how he liked it. Well...he liked it! He did end up eventually sliding down and contorting into positions that looked quite uncomfortable, but that didn't seem to bother him; I would help him get back into a better sitting position--more for my sake than his, I think. I'm sure he'll spend many more happy hours in this swing in the days to come!
Just for fun, here is a picture of David in the same swing from April 2006, one day after he turned one year old. Do you think Tobin and David look alike? The comments we've been getting recently about Tobin are, "Oh, my, he sure looks like he belongs in your family," or "Wow, he looks like his brothers," rather than specific comments of whether he favors Jeff or I or whether he looks more like Josiah or David. Personally, I see some of both his big brothers in him; but beyond that, I can't decide on the specifics.

The downsides of our very fun evening were that David fell off his swing (he decided he didn't need to hold on--silly boy--fortunately, the swing was barely moving so no serious injuries were sustained in the incident, but hopefully a lesson was learned!)...and I hurt my back by giving David an underdog. Since I was trying not to do a high one, I guess I leaned in a funny way at the end of the underdog to shorten my stature to make his swing stay low. Whatever I did, it hurt...and still does. Oh, well, a sore back is a small price to pay for a delightful evening with my boys!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The things we do for our kids! My back has been aching lately too. Must be in the air.

I think Tobin resembles both of your boys, but next to the picture of David they really look alike. They are all precious!

Michelle said...

When my sons do something for the first time I always cry, do you? I think that your children look alike and they are all beautiful boys. Hope that your back feels better soon.

Take Care
Michelle

Bonnie said...

As soon as I saw Tobins picture come up, I was trying to decide who he looked like, and I'm not sure. Yes, there is no doubt he belongs to your family , but he seems to resemble a different family member in every picture. One thing is for sure, he's a cutie!

Margie said...

I don't think he looks like David in the picture, but he's definitely one of the brothers. He seems to have a little of everyone, which, as I can tell, seems to be the consensus.