Thursday, August 7, 2008

Six Things

What better way to start a post than with my favorite picture from today? This boy...(happy sigh)...he's so wonderful...
Now, on to business. Mamajil from M Is For Mommy has tagged me for this meme so, without further ado, here are six random things about me...and my brain is having a hard time being very random; therefore, all six items will center around the same theme.

1. After my sophomore year of college, I worked for the summer at Camp-of-the-Woods in Speculator, New York--a tiny town that I bet you've never heard of and can't find on a map. However, it's a beautiful spot in the Adirondack Mountains and was a great place to spend a summer. (And since then, I've had the wonderful opportunity of going back there twice for vacation--once during the summer after Jeff and I met in Jerusalem; Jeff and I were trying to figure out our relationship and my parents had to get to know him :) and once after we were married. I would LOVE to go there again someday!)

2. Two friends of mine from college who were also music majors, Mac and Becky Holcomb (they weren't married at the time, but got married after they graduated...I played the organ for their wedding--hey, that's an extra random thing--woohoo!), had worked at this camp previously; and they are the ones who introduced me to the idea and encouraged me to go for it for which I'm very grateful.

3. I don't regret the experience at all; but honestly, it was a very difficult summer. The main reason I'll blame that on is the fact that I had tons of pressure on me to learn a huge amount of music very quickly (I worked on the music staff and also waitressed in the dining hall). As it turned out, I was the main (almost the only) accompanist for that summer (that wasn't the plan, but that's the way it turned out), and it just about did me in! ;)

4. One of the things that lightened my heart during that summer was the frequent mail from home. My mother did an incredible job of writing to me! Who knows how many hours that summer she spent at her desk, writing the letters which were like a lifeline for me? If I've never said thank you for that, Mother, I'm saying it now!!! The sweet lady who ran the mail room at the camp would give a piece of candy to everyone who came to check their mail but didn't have any. Thanks to my mother, I didn't get candy very often!

5. One of the other girls on the music staff was named Debra, and she was a few years younger than me. Unbeknownst to me, she ended up going to the college I attended because of my influence. Sometimes we don't see the effects of the ripples that go out from our lives; but in that case, I did get to see it--after the fact.

6. One night at camp, I hopped into bed, only to discover that I wasn't alone in it. A chipmunk was there before I was, and I don't know if he or I was more surprised at our chance encounter. I jumped out of bed and wildly chased him around the cabin before finally shooing him out the door. You wouldn't think that would have been such a traumatic event to me...after all, chipmunks are such cute little critters...but for years (literally) afterwards, I lifted the covers and looked underneath before getting into bed and stretching my legs out!

I'm a notorious chain breaker, so I'm not actually going to tag anyone. But anyone can play along if they want! :)

6 comments:

Mamajil said...

AHHHH!!!! On the Chipmunk in your bed, I think Chipmunks are cute but I wouldn't want to share my bed with one! Thanks for playing along! I enjoyed reading your 6 things.
Also thanks for praying for Josh and Sarah! I appreciate it!
take care!

Anonymous said...

It's so fun to remember times gone by. It's also nice when you can look back and find learned life lessons and the fruit of your labor.

BTW, Tobin is so sweet. He seems to be getting bigger by the day.

JFisher777 said...

#6.... she still checks them before she gets in!

Sarah said...

Thats cute! And thank you! Yes each day it gets better. Thank you for thinking of me.

Beth said...

I too would be checking my sheets pretty often! Fun to hear some random things about you! I also loved the pic of David from Wednesday sound asleep while playing. What a rough life!

Margie said...

I loved all the stories you told with the meme, especially admitting how hard the camp was in the picture-perfect setting. By the way, I realized tonight I've been reading your posts on the fly, then thinking I'd get back to comment, and haven't! So I'm catching up: both girls are asleep.