Friday, August 29, 2008

On This Day...

...one year ago: we found out we were having a BOY! And now, this boy is such a part of our lives that we can't possibly imagine life without him.
He soaks up love and affection, then pours it all back onto us, leaving each of us richer and better and more abundantly filled than we were before.

*******

...two years ago: David walked for the first time! At 16 and 1/2 months of age, he finally walked; and we weren't a bit worried because his big brother hadn't walked until 18 months. Funny how the same thing the second time around isn't nearly as much cause for worry--one of the truly wonderful things about having more than one child!

*******

...three years ago: we were planning to leave San Diego after our extended vacation/family time there upon our return to the States from Israel. We were getting ready to set out on a several-week journey across the States to Virginia, stopping along the way to visit a number of friends and family members, speak in several churches, and enjoy a few scenic stops on our way across this beautiful country. Unfortunately, some of us were sick so we extended our time in San Diego and made adjustments to our cross-country schedule to allow for a later departure with the same arrival in Virginia. That change let us have this day with family, pictured below--Jeff's sister Kim holding Baby David with her son Sebastian and Josiah also on the couch. Those weeks we spent with them were a really special time, and we long for more of it. We miss them a lot!


*******

...eleven* years ago: we were enjoying life as newlyweds in beautiful southern California. Among other things, I wrote in my journal that Jeff worked a half day; and in the morning, he went to Southwestern College to look into taking a class, but nothing worked out. (Since then, he's gotten both a bachelor's and a master's degree so I guess he didn't really need a class there.) ;) While he was gone, I had a great time playing the piano; then we had lunch together when he returned. After he left for work, I spent the afternoon beginning to organize my pictures--a fun project (and one which I still haven't completed). :) I also called Lisa in Florida, one of my college roommates, and had a good talk with her. On his way home, Jeff picked up milk at the store and surprised me with three kinds of berries! (I really think my love language is food.) We ate a supper of turkey cutlets, boiled potatoes, gravy, pasta salad, honeydew, and the berries from Jeff; then I played the piano for our neighbors who were listening in the courtyard outside our townhouse; and then Jeff and I listened to a tape by David Bercot about salvation.

*******

...twelve years ago: I was preparing to return in two days' time to Messiah College for my senior year. My sister Donna dropped by in the morning to see me (which is interesting because she happens to be asleep right now in our guest room, having driven in this evening from her home in Ohio). Mother and I went to town: took stuff to drop off at the recycling place, went to Harrisonburg Honda (probably for my Accord to be serviced, although I didn't make a note in my journal about why), dropped by Bridgewater Church of the Brethren (probably to see if I would like to get married there--I wasn't engaged yet, by the way), went to C.K. & Associates Bridal for my second time of trying on wedding dresses (did I just mention that I wasn't engaged yet?). Unfortunately, Mom got a bad, sick headache so I brought her home, then ate some lunch before heading back to town to hit the two happenin' places around here: the Mall and Walmart. (Well, the Mall used to be a happenin' place--now? not so much.) Later, my dad and I picked up the Honda, I put pictures in an album (hey, I did this a year later, too!), then I went to Mrs. Byler's (my former piano teacher) where we had a great visit. The last thing I noted in my journal for that day was the huge slugs on her walk as I left. I didn't write it down, but I'm hoping I got a good night's sleep that night because the next night, Jeff called and we talked for four hours, until 2 a.m. Crazy lovebirds. ;)

*******

I wonder what next year's August 29 has in store for me??? :)

* I realize there's quite a gap between three years ago and eleven, but I just don't have journals to fill in all that space. I've been a sporadic journaler through the years and wish now that I had journaled more consistently, but even the bits and pieces I do have convince me again of what a treasure it is to have thoughts and events written down so that, through those words, I can return to former times and recall things I never would have been able to remember otherwise!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had journal to help me remember events! I have a really bad memory so you think I would be great at it. LOL

It's tryuly amazing to see how God changes us over time. From single to having 3 precious boys. From Israel to San Diego and now Virginia. All in 11 years. Where will he take you next? That is the exciting part :)

Julie said...

I always smile when I read your posts. So fun to have those "windows" as I call them... because I am a sporadic journaler, as well. Right now I am just hanging on!!!

Christin said...

Hmm... now that makes me wonder where you and I were 16 years ago.

Craz-i-ness.

I just may have to look that one up. *wink*

Unknown said...

What wonderful bits and pieces to remember ... the journaling aspect of blogging is the most important to me. It's so easy to forget everyday events and consider them to be important .. but years later you realise how precious they are. You are fortunate to have these memories written down.

Margie said...

Like you, I've been a sporadic journaler, but am struggling to imagine what might have been 12 years ago...I was nearly 30! Oh -tough year that was. This point 12 years ago was, in fact, the lowest. Funny that that was the year that I tried to remember, but it reminds me how far I've come.

I liked reading of your different spots in life. I really feel I know you as well as if you lived next door. Thanks for sharing so much of your life!

Sally said...

I enjoyed reading your reflections and accounts of some of the past years. You have a great gift for writing and keeping it interesting. Keep sharing with us!