Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Sons

A week and a half ago, we ate Sunday dinner at my parents' house; and while the boys played a game of Uncle Wiggly before we ate...
...and while David held Tobin's hand so that he wouldn't reach out to nab the pieces and unwittingly disrupt the whole game...
...I watched them. Just watched. Soaked in the sight of them. Thought of the boys they are now and the men they are becoming.
It reminded me of an essay, "Little Boys," by Marjorie Holmes that I recently read. This is what she wrote:

Your little boy awakes and cries because of a bad dream.

His hot small body clings to you as you sit on the edge of the bed. You feel the firm curves of it through the thin crumpled pajamas. His fat cheeks are moist and the tips of his lashes are moist and fragile, too, against your cheek.

You hold him on your lap and comfort him and know the joy of holding and comforting him, of being his mother to whom he turns when unhappy or afraid.

You think of some fracas in the yard, his demanding in a plaintive howl, "Mummy, help! Billy took my shubble!" And though he is sent back usually to settle the trouble himself, it comes to you with some thrilling sense of wonder and privilege how good it is to be, for this little while, supreme commander of his day. The person omnipotent, who is empowered and entrusted to heal all hurts, answer all questions, meet all his many demands.

And holding and comforting him there in the dark, you think how soon he will be a big leggy boy, remote and roughly shy, not wanting your caresses any more.

And how he will become a man and go away from home and perhaps do splendid things, things of which you'll boast, but in which life gives no mother any real part. How you will become a shadowy figure to him, someone of whom he thinks with fondness and tenderness and concern, perhaps, but no longer vital or essential to him, because that is life's way.

And it comes to you how brief and filled with glory are these early years of parenthood.

How those who are young mothers are creatures of special privilege, for all the trouble and bother and often unutterable weariness we know. How we should live every moment with our youngsters to the utmost, creating bright memories and hoarding them like riches against the inevitable loss to come.

Few, so tragically few of us, have the faintest conception of what other, older women feel.

"This is my son!" they proudly say, taking a photograph from the mantel and speaking of his accomplishments, while we murmur polite admiration.

This night, however, holding your own little fellow, you begin to understand:

He is lost to them. Gone. But in showing his picture to others, speaking of him to people who can't possibly care, they are recreating him for themselves. Bringing back the little boy who woke up crying in the night, who could be comforted, caressed, and held close against his too swift growing up.

These are my sons, I proudly say from the brief but glorious early years of parenthood. These are my sons.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Davene, that is beautiful. Thank you for sharing that. All to often we get swept up in the hustle and bustle of getting through the day and forget to stop and appreciate the time we have with our precious children. I am not looking forward to the growing up part of motherhood, but it will be less painful if I remember to appreciate each day and moment I have with my little one. You are a great example to us all!

Mamajil said...

What a wonderful post! You know its not so bad when they grow up. It is bitter sweet, and at the same time it is a blessing to see and witness. I am so blessed when I watch my son Josh and see how he leads his family and how he clings to God. The fruit I see in his life is an encouragement to my spirit. And yes the years as a young boy are gone and they did fly by but seeing the years we poured our love and values into him and seeing the prayers we prayed over him come to pass, are so rewarding!! I encourage you to hold them tight and pour the love of Jesus into them daily, and pray for them all the time, and never miss an opportunity to speak the word of God into them....you will be blessed by what you see when they evolve into the Godly men you knew they would one day become!!

You have a beautiful family!

Davene said...

Jilma, thank you for that reminder of how wonderful the grown-up years can be, too. :) Because I haven't walked that road yet, I tend to forget about all the good that awaits during that phase of life, but you're right: it will be a blessing to see them as young Godly men. THANK YOU!

Blackwell said...

That brought me to tears!! I really needed to read that... a reminder of how precious these years are. It's so easy to get wrapped up in "life"...
Thank you!

Margie said...

I love the piece by Holmes and the pictures you picked to accompany it. I thought of it several times yesterday when I felt unutterably weary, reminding myself that even though the days are long, the years are short. Thanks Davene!

Buzzings of a Queen Bee! said...

Phew...that's exactly what this post made me do. Because it is so true, and I will wish for these early parenting days harder than I've wished for anything in my life when they are gone. Take a deep breath...and remember this! Thank you!
-Carrie

Michelle said...

What a lovely post, thank you for sharing. Your sons are so handsome.

Take Care
Michelle

Christy said...

Thanks for sharing such a beautiful post and for your sweet comment on my post. I also wrote a post in honor of my son's birthday in July titled A Special Day. If you have time, you should check it out. I made a list of 12 (that's how old he is) things I've learned from having a son. Being a mother to 3 boys, you would appreciate it and relate I'm sure.

As for the tassels... I hung one on a lamp (from the switch) and the other is hanging from a wrought ion shelf I have. You can hang them anywhere really... knobs, handles, hooks, and I've even seen them used on the pull on a ceiling fan. They are so much fun!

Christy said...

I added an update with some pictures about where I am hanging my tassels on my post:)